WATERING POTATOES??? when should I water ?

• 6 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
WATERING POTATOES??? when should I water ?
« on: April 23, 2010, 19:04 »
I am a bit confused as to when I should water my sown potatoes. The soil is very very dry here. I sowed my maincrop potatoes a few weeks ago and I really dont know when to water?
Do I water now or do I wait until the leaves appear?

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: WATERING POTATOES??? when should I water ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 19:14 »
im newbie  but i think the answer is dont water if :ohmy:  if you dig down a few inches and the soil is dark and moist leave the wateriong off it makes the tubers go down for the water    cos if you water they will grow to near the surface of the soil

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 19:14 »
Depends partly on your soil; sandy soil will have dried out more than a clay soil.

The plants themselves won't be using up much water since they have no leaves; I would do a "finger wiggle" test into the top 2 or 3 inches of soil and if it seems dry at that depth then yes, water (and give plenty, better to water a lot and at intervals rather than little and often!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 19:44 »
I had the same problem.  No rain for a couple of weeks now, and the top 3-4 inches is pretty dry.  I watered them on Monday and since then nearly every one has popped it's head up.

As a rule I try not to water them until they begin to form a crop (a quick furtle helps to see if they are the size of marbles) then keep them watered in dry spells.

Once the tops start to yellow, I cease watering and chop all stems down to a few inches.

My only worry at the moment is frost.

wighty

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 19:48 »
I watered my new pots on Sunday as we haven't had any rain for ages and the soil was very cracked.  I gave them a good soaking and since then several have 'appeared'.  Obviously was needed.  They had been in for six weeks before that and was beginning to worry that nothing was happening!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 23:10 »
I agree with everyone else. Too much water too often makes a lot of leaf growth at the expense of tubers.

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 23:16 »
I've deliberately NOT watered mine 'cos I don't want the tops frost damaged if they sprout too soon. At the moment they're just 'settling in' to their new home  :D

xx
Watering With Warm Water

Started by CaroleG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 09:29
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Watering potatoes

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 09:19
by Nikkithefoot
question
Watering potatoes

Started by Islandman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 15:12
by Goosegirl
xx
Watering potatoes

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 21:46
by Dan78

Page created in 0.65 seconds with 37 queries.