frost has caught my spuds

• 7 Replies

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
frost has caught my spuds
« on: April 23, 2010, 18:46 »
Hi, I wasn't too good yesterday and didn't get out to cover my spuds for the night. I notice today that the frost has caught some of the leaves. What should I do next, do I remove these leaves or just leave well alone?
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Re: frost has caught my spuds
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 19:48 »
I would leave em be. If they are frost damaged it won't spread, and you have nothing to gain by removing them.  Once the rest of the plant pushes up it may be an idea to nip off the damaged bits.  Just so it looks nice and tidy if nothing else.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 22:53 »
Same here. I had to go away overnight on Tuesday and forgot to replace the fleece. Just my luck it was the sharpest frost of the week. Lots of blackened leaves but they seem OK and are now pushing out new green growth. As long as the frost hasn't got to the tubers they should be fine.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 23:32 »
Hi, I wasn't too good yesterday and didn't get out to cover my spuds for the night. I notice today that the frost has caught some of the leaves. What should I do next, do I remove these leaves or just leave well alone?

dont worry about it,they are just slightly nipped back and delayed.id be more worried of frost getting well established haulms.
keep a very close eye on nighttime temp predictions for your area.a bale or 2 of straw handy will help.
put a good 4-6" layer over each haulm and you'll be fine.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 23:52 »
The damage is done if there is frost on the leaves and the sun comes up and melts it quickly.

The old boys used to get up just before sunrise and water the frost off with a watering can before the sun got on them.

Does anybody still do this?

A tip if you use fleece, it it more effective if it is dampened.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 00:02 »
The damage is done if there is frost on the leaves and the sun comes up and melts it quickly.

The old boys used to get up just before sunrise and water the frost off with a watering can before the sun got on them.

Does anybody still do this?

A tip if you use fleece, it it more effective if it is dampened.

yip massive plant cell destuction occurs with the sunrise.bit like putting a lettuce in the freezer then expecting it to be ok when you defrost it lol.
dont worry about frost attack if the haulms are just emerging.these are sensor haulms and their main job in life is to act as sensors to the tuber underground.
if they recieve frost damage they will chemically inform the tuber to slow down upper growth until conditions become more favourable.
root growth will continue unaffected,hence either earth them up or dont plant too early.bob

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:14 »
Thanks for the reassurances. Luckily it didn't get my earlies in their bags just my seconds. Glad they will be ok.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 14:14 »
 Havent been able to get to my plot for about 4 days. Went there this morning & the pots where all about another 3" above ground so re-earthed them. This is the second time I have done it so will probably be the last.
 The frost hasnt seemed to of harmed them at all.
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

xx
Kiwi caught by the frost

Started by Chaz1985 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 20:35
by gobs
xx
Potato frost caught

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 11:54
by WG.
xx
Tomatoes caught by the frost

Started by chrissydrove on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 16:53
by hamstergbert
xx
Christmas spuds and frost

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 08:06
by Yabba

Page created in 0.703 seconds with 36 queries.