Cucumber and courgette question

• 7 Replies

antwilk

Cucumber and courgette question
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:09 »
hello all

i have two different varieties of outdoor cucumbers and two different varieties of courgette can the different varieties go into the same bed or will it effect pollination i.e cross pollination.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Re: Cucumber and courgette question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33 »
There's no problem with cross pollination for this year's crop. If you saved seeds to plant next year then you'd experience problems.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39 »
as above, it is fine except for seed saving ... also you increase the chances of a good pollination with the plants being in the same bed  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 13:00 »
A little read HERE if you are interested in the subject (including how sweetcorn is an exception to the general rule.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

antwilk

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08 »
thank you very much for taking the time to reply :) Ant

bigben

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:43 »
JayG - my system would not open your link but that is par for the course here. I was thinking of using some of last years left over packet sweetcorn as well as  my new stuff bought this year but they are different types -is this not a good idea?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 13:20 »
Hi Bigben: here is the URL in its full glory! Hope it works this time!  :)

http://mcdowell.ces.ncsu.edu/content/Cross+Pollinating+Crops

(It appears that different varieties will cross and produce kernels on the cobs with unpredictable characteristics, the worst of which I suppose is the possibility of the sweetness being lost)  :(

bigben

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 13:45 »
Thanks JayG - you have answered my question. In the end I used a new packet of 35 sweetcorn seeds rather than two half packs of left overs, as I wanted a block of about 6 by 6. Last year the corn went down really well and I regretted not sowing more- I will try the link on my home machine which does not have all the restrictions that my work system has.

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 37 queries.