100% success parsnips

• 93 Replies

tontom

• Experienced Member
Re: 100% success parsnips
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 22:10 »
sowed a 30 ft row in early april , a full pkt of seeds. Most of them have germinated. I only sowed about a 10 ft row last year and oh how we missed them so this year we've got plenty  :D

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 12:54 »
I started mine of in paper pots like suggested and they have only just shown, is it too ate for them or should i just plant them out and see what i get?
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 13:45 »
If they've literally only just appeared I'd let them get a little bit bigger before introducing them to the great outside world.

Should be OK; they're not that far behind.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 14:32 »
 :)

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 16:04 »
has anyone tried chiting in a plastic bag with some moist seed compost. I set mine away on feb 28th two days and they all cracked , i then put three each in a paper pots and grew them on untill end of march. I planted out at the end of march and weeded out the weakest when established,  though to be honest i could have put one in each pot as they were all healthy. I now have the best leeks ever. seeds from dobies F1 Albion. this method also works for beetroot although i prefer to sow direct as it is a bit labour intensive.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2010, 16:13 »
I sowed 7 rows under fleece at the end of April, and have had almost 100% germination. I have left 3 rows under fleece and they are about twice the size of the others  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2010, 16:24 »
I have attempted several times recently with parsnips but to no avail, think I will give up on them now  >:(
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Beetroot queen

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2010, 17:23 »
I am going on record to say

"I beetroot Queen will never ever attempt to grow my own parsnips ever again, after 5 batches that havent grown I resign my efforts to peas  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 16:39 »
I just keep looking at the seed packet and avoid doing anything more with it - saves all that disappointment and long weeks of expectation  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2010, 20:42 »
I just keep looking at the seed packet and avoid doing anything more with it - saves all that disappointment and long weeks of expectation  ::)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever optimistic, I germinated seeds on  a saucer lined with wet tissue and covered in clingfilm -- 100 %  success.  Painstakingly transferred sprouted seed to 3 ins deep individual little planting tubes, then this weekend, when they had one real leaf, planted 40 out at the plot. Roots were just at the end of the tubes.

Just went down to see how the are getting on and they all look just dandy  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2010, 20:44 »
Must admit the ones of mine which did germinate look pretty healthy.  I ended up infilling with a second sowing and those also look good albeit smaller!

Fingers crossed, parsnips are one of my favourite veg and I've never grown them before.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2010, 00:28 »
only just seen this thread.

For the last 5yrs i've just dibbed holes 8in deep, as for leeks, filled with multipurpose added 3 seeds cover with another 1/2 inch of mp, thin when grown ( plant a few radish inbetween holes if you want to mark rows) 100% success and no split roots or hassle with planting out or watering in the paper pots/rolls etc :)

think greenhead suggested the same??

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19 »
only just seen this thread.

For the last 5yrs i've just dibbed holes 8in deep, as for leeks, filled with multipurpose added 3 seeds cover with another 1/2 inch of mp, thin when grown ( plant a few radish inbetween holes if you want to mark rows) 100% success and no split roots or hassle with planting out or watering in the paper pots/rolls etc :)

think greenhead suggested the same??

Oooooh...I do like the sound of that method. Might try it next year.

Of course, you also can't beat the uniformity of rows when using paper pots. No gaps whatsoever, so looks better and uses space better.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2010, 19:03 »
Its 6 of one ... and half a dozen of the other isn't it?

1) Make deep planting holes, fill with prepared compost, station sow 3 seeds each

Pros: less effort than paper-pot method

Cons: weeds will compete from day one, if germination is spotty resowing is likely to be pretty late; need to have the bed prepared, and be able to get on the soil, early in the season (on my clay soil, and given my bone-idleness early in the year! that's "unlikely" in my case, and a major deciding-factor for me personally)

2) Prepare deep paper pots, sow seed per-pot, or chit first; plant out as soon as first true leaf appears

Pros: One plant per station, no gaps; later soil preparation(**); less weed competition

Cons: time and effort of making paper pots, watering an nurturing; needs conservatory / greenhouse or similar "space" for raising the plants.

(**) I sowed my newspaper pots on 11-Mar and planted out on 11-Apr, so it "gained" me a month.

Both (assuming you make tall paper pots) provide 8" or so of good soil to grow in, and incur similar cost for compost etc.

3) sow direct.

Pros: avoids the cost of compost, and considerable time saved on faffing around and nurturing. Great method if soil is already in good heart.

Cons: spacing may be erratic / gap-y; other factors as per (1) above. Needs time to make a decent seed bed (dunno how the various methods compare in terms of "minutes / parsnip produced!) and extra early-season weeding.

It occurs to me that for outdoor-direct-sowing and if quality of seed is uncertain, or even just "to be more certain", then a few seeds could be chitted a couple of weeks before the actual outdoor sowing to check that germination percentage is high.

Paul Plots

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2010, 23:33 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever optimistic, I germinated seeds on  a saucer lined with wet tissue and covered in clingfilm -- 100 %  success.  Painstakingly transferred sprouted seed to 3 ins deep individual little planting tubes, then this weekend, when they had one real leaf, planted 40 out at the plot. Roots were just at the end of the tubes.

Just went down to see how the are getting on and they all look just dandy  :D :D :D

MIne look excellent..... still on the outside of the packet though  ::)

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
will i have success?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:14
by Charl89
xx
success at last !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:57
by starry
xx
Spud success

Started by Rachel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 11:38
by Rachel

Page created in 0.979 seconds with 37 queries.