100% success parsnips

• 93 Replies

bluelou

• Experienced Member
Re: 100% success parsnips
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2010, 17:48 »
Thanks once again.

It does sound abit of a job but i love parsnips and i am sick of sowing them and not getting anything, so it is definitely worth a try.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2010, 11:23 »
As a supposedly experienced gardener, in theory I don't panic about slow parsnip germination, but that doesn't stop me feeling a bit nervous as the weeks go by and my daily scrutiny of the parsnip bed shows only a forest of weed seeds starting to appear!

For those of a similarly nervous disposition parsnip-wise I am happy to report that as of today I have two clear rows of parsnip seedlings which have suddenly decided to pop up (Wilkinsons Gladiator F1 seeds, sown 8th April; time to germination 25 days!)   

Happy parsnip papa!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

viettaclark

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2010, 21:37 »
Mine are up too and they were last year's left-overs, planted before the last cold spell!
Don't need the back up seeds I bought!

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55 »
Last year I had one go to seed, which I saved, but I have noticed lately that the wind blown seeds have germinated all over the plot! I also sowed direct after warming the soil with black plastic and a cloche, these have had a very good germination rate.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2010, 21:10 »
Down to Wilkies tomorrow for some fresh seeds. Gonna start them off in paper pots and transplant later. We are big parsnip lovers but never grown my own yet. Would probably sow across the whole plot if I thought there was any chance of 100% success. :) Looking forward to roasting with my carrots, leeks and shallots. (Fingers crossed) ;)
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

gypsy

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2010, 21:49 »
I planted my parsnips, complete with paper pots into the ground yesterday, today there are a few bits of newspaper blowing around on the plot and a few parsnips seem to be "missing" I wonder who is the culprit, there is a guilty looking blackbird in the bushes on the next plot.
Catherine

8doubles

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 08:53 »
I planted my parsnips, complete with paper pots into the ground yesterday, today there are a few bits of newspaper blowing around on the plot and a few parsnips seem to be "missing" I wonder who is the culprit, there is a guilty looking blackbird in the bushes on the next plot.

I was putting some kale plants in the other day and a hen blackbird landed 3ft away and stared digging them out again. :mad:

They get very bold when there`s chicks to feed. :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 09:28 »
Oh dear.

I finally weeded the parsnip bed yesterday and I could see patchy germination so I weeded all around and in between.  Now wondering whether I've disturbed seeds that were yet to come through (I sowed then 21st March).   I am going to see whether I have any seed left to have a go at filling the gaps  :(!!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 11:44 »
Oh dear.

I finally weeded the parsnip bed yesterday and I could see patchy germination so I weeded all around and in between.  Now wondering whether I've disturbed seeds that were yet to come through (I sowed then 21st March).   I am going to see whether I have any seed left to have a go at filling the gaps  :(!!

In my experience 3 weeks-plus is par for the course for parsnips to show outdoors, even when sown relatively late (some reckon to sow in February/March which I suspect would not have been a good idea this year................)

If you have already got enough to fill the bed at the recommended spacing I have found they transplant very successfully if you keep root disturbance to a minimum, although this is in very light soil so they come out and go back into small dibbed holes very easily.

Paul Plots

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 00:26 »
If it wasn't for the fact that I love parsnip chips I don't think I'd put myself through this annual battle with the flipping things...

I'm about the only one in my immediate family that likes parsnips but the challenge of getting them to grow is not going to beat me... :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

boosh

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 07:30 »
I grew 20 parsnips in toilet rolls back in feb they are doing really well on the plot, when i planted them out i sowed a row straight in the ground about the first week of april they are just starting to come thru.

Paul Plots

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2010, 16:09 »
I grew 20 parsnips in toilet rolls back in feb they are doing really well on the plot, when i planted them out i sowed a row straight in the ground about the first week of april they are just starting to come thru.

:tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:   :tongue2:

Sorry...... :blink:  I'm not at all jealous (really).  :lol:

boosh

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2010, 20:39 »
Well perhaps i was a bit premature. Just got back from the plot was weeding around the parsnips and in the middle of the direct sowen row was a five foot space, parsnips to the right, parsnips to the left none in the middle. Now that has flumoxed me....... :unsure:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2010, 20:44 »
I sowed mine so carefully, and I have precisely twelve seedlings which I have oh so carefully weeded around  :lol:

Now have some on wet tissue on a saucer awaiting germination, before putting them in paper pots.

Parsnips are our favourite, so will struggle on.

Worst part is those planted at school are all up and lovely fresh green, neatly spaced  :lol: :lol: :lol:

How come?????? :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

boosh

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010, 20:54 »
Perhaps we take to much care of them, we should just chuck them in and hope......that might be something to try next year, x-amount of parsnips loving looked after and x-amount just sowen and left, well weeded and waterd only when needed.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
will i have success?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:14
by Charl89
xx
success at last !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:57
by starry
clip
Parsnip success !

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 12:08
by John

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 37 queries.