100% success parsnips

• 93 Replies

gypsy

100% success parsnips
« on: April 20, 2010, 22:21 »
I planted wilkinsons parsnips in paper pots 22nd March, every single one has germinated. :D
I have also planted some in the ground but it is impossible to say what % of those have germinated, hopefully it will be most of them.
Catherine

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: 100% success parsnips
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 22:23 »
Well done  :ohmy:

Would you like to come and plant mine for me  :lol:

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 22:31 »
Well done  :ohmy:

Would you like to come and plant mine for me  :lol:
Get the kettle on, I will be round later to do em for you. :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 22:48 »
I'm cutting a nice slice of cake for you now  :D

bigben

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01 »
last year I planted direct and saw nothing so assumed they had failed I then planted in paper pots and  I think I got about 38 out of 40 appear. I planted these and then of course the others appears as well so I ended up with loads. I froze the extras in Feb and we are still eating them.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:31 »
Gosh I'm impressed 100% I don't even get cress germinating at 100%!
I put my parsnip seeds out and thus far have 1 tiny wee seedling showing. My boys love parsnip crisps so I've planted loads to keep them happy still I'll be happy if  anywhere near 50% work, think I'm on about 0.2% germination rate at the mo. :)

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:13 »
I planted wilkinsons parsnips in paper pots 22nd March, every single one has germinated. :D
I have also planted some in the ground but it is impossible to say what % of those have germinated, hopefully it will be most of them.

How big were your paper pots and what soil did you use? I have sow parsnips for the past 2 years and not ever 1% comes through.

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38 »
well, after 3 weeks of 100 seed in 100 paper pots (using John Innes), I thought I had only a 5% germination rate - it now looks to be at 80%. So I am planting these out later today, plus doing a direct sowing under plastic of another 100...........will be interested to see what happens.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

bigben

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58 »

How big were your paper pots and what soil did you use? I have sow parsnips for the past 2 years and not ever 1% comes through.

I planted in paper pots (look up the thread about Richies paper pots) and used a pledge tin to create them - about 5-6 inch deep and filled them with B&Q multipurpose compost. The snips were Gladiators. I started them inside, above a radiator and then put them somwhere cooler as soon as they appeared. Other people chit them between paper but I have not needed to.

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16 »
Thanks. I will give it try this weekend. Will toilet rolls do the job as well?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:28 »
I do newspaper pots too - about 2.5" diameter and 6" tall. I have also done loo rolls - they are somewhat narrower, and tended to unwind along their spiral seam when planted, but otherwise fine.  Both can get mould on them, don't worry about that.

Important to use fresh seed - don't keep any left over for next year - Parsnip seed loses it viability very quickly.

If putting two seeds per pot make sure the seconds get removed.  I did that when I planted them, but didn't check again and more germinated during the Summer and gave me parsnip-pairs wrapped around each other!

As soon as the first true leaf appears they need to be hardened off and in the ground. The tap root grows downwards at a surprising rate! and that's the bit that won't like being disturbed during planting.

Mine were about a week germinating, and after another 3 weeks they needed to be in the ground - the tap roots were out of the bottom of the pots on some of them.

gypsy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 13:35 »

I made the pots round a tuna paste jar and used erin compost, 2 seeds to a pot, watered well, covered them with a carrier bag and newspaper, left them in an unheated poly tunnel, sprayed them when they were dry. Now nipped out the 2nd seed in each pot.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 13:39 by gypsy »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 13:40 »
I chit and direct sow, the chitted ones are through, looks like most have germinated ok, the direct sown ones may be a few weeks yet.
Never tried the paper pots due to space, well when I say space it's more the wife  ::)

Slightly off subject but I have also tried to chit me cukes this year, 5 seeds in and all 5 have sent their little spruts owt, potted on last night so will see if they pop up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jondav

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 19:14 »
parsnip seed needs to be fresh seed every year,so im told,What I do is cut the leafy top off one when I harvest it, plant this and it will grow on and run to seed,I collect the seed head, shake the seeds off,and I have seeds for next year

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 19:32 »
Paper pot production tonight then, that will be a first for me, then Parsnip seeds in, (Gladiator) hopefully I will have more success than last years direct sowings which were a bit of a disaster.

Ooh I seem to be getting all green fingered all of a sudden, and enjoying it.  Never thought I'd enjoy gardening.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
will i have success?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:14
by Charl89
xx
success at last !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:57
by starry
xx
cardboard success

Started by Andycorker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 23:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 36 queries.