Asparagus

• 12 Replies

kingston boy

Asparagus
« on: April 20, 2010, 19:20 »
Hi all, Does anybody have any Connovers Colossal Asparagus?  Number 2 does anybody have any showing through yet? I look around the site and many plots already have shoots appearing but not me. Am i just being silly thinking its only me? "2 years ago i planted the crowns as stated on the pack. Lasy year i watched it grow to near 4 foot high. Took 1 spear off each plant, i have 20 so i had a good couple of meals. It was cut down when all appeared dead and coverd with Mnaure and seaweed meal This year,zilch. Any help and advise would be welcome

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 19:31 »
Are you Kingston as in "Kingston-upon-Hull"? (Always helps if people put their location in their personal profile.)

About 3 of my asparagus plants boldy produced about 1 shoot apiece in the relative warmth of last week but are now looking as if they wish they hadn't bothered!

I wouldn't worry until after a week or so of (hopefully) warmer weather!   ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 19:44 »
I would tend to agree with JayG,
   I was expecting a showing from my asparagus patch already but we really haven't had the warmth yet.
   Everything is a bit behind this year :)
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 19:50 »
Mine came through only yesterday and today we had two through

Give it time its trying  :lol:

Jilly Pickles

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 20:29 »
As Beetroot Queen said (give it time).

We have had about 8 spears so far, and we can see lots more coming.

But we are in SE France, This year has been a slow start for everything here.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 21:27 »
Because I've had 2 weeks of rather warm dry weather, my plants went from nothing at all to my first harvest tonight. They'll be up when they like the weather so be patient.

sonic

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 18:17 »
I've got 48 crowns of Connovers Collossal in an eight year old bed.  I live in the East Midlands.  They are just starting to come through - about half a dozen really fat boys.  If you've nurtured them the way that you say you have then just be patient - they're down there.  In a month's time you're going to be fed up of the taste of asparagus.  Whatever you do don't start interfering with the soil to see what's going on - they don't like root disturbance, particularly at this time of the year.

Geordie Gal

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 19:36 »
While we are on the topic of asparagus can I ask a daft question please?
I planted 9 crowns about a month ago following the instructions on the pack. This said to dig a 6 inch deep trench and then cover the crowns with 2 inches of soil and earth them up until they get to ground level.  A couple of shoots have shown and I've earthed them up but I' now beginning to think that I'm doing it all wrong.  I know that it will be a while before I can think of harvesting but don't want to have mucked things up for a potentilly beautiful crop in 2015.
Does this sound like the right start for my crowns?
Ta
GG

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 21:50 »
You can't do too much wrong to asparagus, as long as you stop earthing up at ground level they'll be fine. Let the ferny-like fronds grow until they die back in fall. Don't be tempted to prune or anything like that.

Geordie Gal

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 17:42 »
Thanks Trillium, I'll carry on earthing up and wait for the fronds to appear. GG

Ramundo

Asparagus Help
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:40 »
Hey, i am in my third year of growing asparagus and should soon be able to enjoy the benefits of having to wait so long but a was wondering if i could take for e.g. a cutting of the asparagus, and replant so i am able to start of a new batch? or would a neeed to just buy more seeds or crowns to start again-any help would be appreciated  :)

gillie

Re: Asparagus Help
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:11 »
Hey, i am in my third year of growing asparagus and should soon be able to enjoy the benefits of having to wait so long but a was wondering if i could take for e.g. a cutting of the asparagus, and replant so i am able to start of a new batch? or would a neeed to just buy more seeds or crowns to start again-any help would be appreciated  :)

Not really.  Asparagus plants have a central growth point with roots spreading out in all directions.  They hate being disturbed.  I think you will have to buy more seeds/crowns.

Gillie

harry

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 13:02 »
I've been cutting asparagus spears for a week now, but i inherited the bed with the allotment so i don't know how old it is :dry: :wub: :unsure:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by diggin@diggle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 16:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 37 queries.