gardeners world doncaster cats

• 6 Replies

duncan

« on: June 07, 2007, 10:02 »
anyone done  marshalls show masters  onions this year  well they seem to be doing well here thats if the cat keeps away they grow to around 2 /4lb a really nice size..ANYWAY its the cat i want to chat about does anyone know how to keep them from scrating the garden up ...ive used cat peper repelent and even covered the onions and veg with mesh.BUT it just scrats some where else ..i think its the type of soil i have very fine..at the top end of the garden its clay and the cat just not botherd in scrating .. tried alsorts ive even stop watering in the garden on a night as i seem to think it makes things worse the cat just course more and more damage.. so it looks like spending more money on wire mesh...or poly tunnel 10ft x2ft..i seem to think the garden will be more safe than my house...can you take insurance out on veg for damage ... :D
growing big onions  leeks parsnips carrots ..

milkman

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:19 »
cats are a damned nuisance especially the poo-ing variety  :cry:

somewhere else on this forum I think someone mentioned about part burying in the worst affected places e.g a soft drinks bottle with jeyes fluid in with a hole in the cap for the smell to waft about which apparently cats hate.  

I've never tried this myself as I'm worried birds and hedgehogs and guinea pigs wouldn't like it either.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Puff

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:39 »
Try covering every area of ground that you want to be cat-free with thick, thorny brambles.  It works.

Please don't use Jeyes Fluid anywhere.   It contains phenols (tar oils)  that are fatally poisonous to all cats.  The same phenols are found in creosote too. The cat can absorb Jeyes/creosote through it's skin, there's no need for the animal to ingest it orally.  It can cause the animal a prolonged and painful death from liver failure and eventually multiple organ failure.

If you need to weatherproof your sheds and fences use modern creosote free products, there are plenty available.   :D

duncan

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 15:19 »
Quote from: "Puff"
Try covering every area of ground that you want to be cat-free with thick, thorny brambles.  It works.

Please don't use Jeyes Fluid anywhere.   It contains phenols (tar oils)  that are fatally poisonous to all cats.  The same phenols are found in creosote too. The cat can absorb Jeyes/creosote through it's skin, there's no need for the animal to ingest it orally.  It can cause the animal a prolonged and painful death from liver failure and eventually multiple organ failure.

If you need to weatherproof your sheds and fences use modern creosote free products, there are plenty available.   :D

well ive tried putting carpet gripper down near my veg but its not worked i have covered the veg but its seems to scrat else where in the garden never fails every night it turns up scrats row after row makes one hell of a mess think i will have to put up with it this season and try sort it out for the end of season by putting mesh round the garden MORE MONEY but i can always grow runner and french beans up the mesh next season

thanks for the reply  duncan   .........doncaster

CJ

Natural Cat Repellent
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 16:03 »
Found this recently, you may be interested

Coleus canina (‘scaredy-cat plant’)

Annual foliage –not very pretty but can be effective as a deterrent to cats and apparently to foxes and dogs. This plant used to be sold under the name of ‘pee-off plant’ but is now apparently sold as ‘scaredy-cat plant’ due to its abilities to deter cats. It gives off a smell that repels cats and also foxes and dogs but it only detectable to humans when the leaves are crushed and even then is only a mild smell to us.

Thompson & Morgan (01787 884141; www.thompson-morgan.com) sell young plants (5 plants @ £7.99) and recommend they are planted in dry-ish soil about 75cm apart. The plants do flower but must be propagated from cuttings which can be over-wintered in a cool greenhouse.

duncan

Re: Natural Cat Repellent
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 16:45 »
Quote from: "CJ"
Found this recently, you may be interested

Coleus canina (‘scaredy-cat plant’)

Annual foliage –not very pretty but can be effective as a deterrent to cats and apparently to foxes and dogs. This plant used to be sold under the name of ‘pee-off plant’ but is now apparently sold as ‘scaredy-cat plant’ due to its abilities to deter cats. It gives off a smell that repels cats and also foxes and dogs but it only detectable to humans when the leaves are crushed and even then is only a mild smell to us.

Thompson & Morgan (01787 884141; www.thompson-morgan.com) sell young plants (5 plants @ £7.99) and recommend they are planted in dry-ish soil about 75cm apart. The plants do flower but must be propagated from cuttings which can be over-wintered in a cool greenhouse.

HELLO
ive tried a plant called CAT NIP  but its not having any nip here on the cat but will look on thompson morgan site see if its the same plant ...

thanks for the reply

duncan    

doncaster

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 17:14 »
Cats love catnip it drives them wild you can have the whole neighbourhood of cats rolling  on the one plant,  it makes them dribble and drool and behave quite bizarly.   I plant it as a treat for my cats, but you have to rotate the plants otherwise they polish off one before the next is big enough.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

xx
gardeners world doncaster

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 10:34
by duncan
xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2019, 17:57
by rowlandwells
xx
Gardeners world

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 09:23
by Debz
xx
Gardeners World

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 21:20
by muntjac

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 28 queries.