Roundup in the polytunnel

• 23 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Roundup in the polytunnel
« on: April 18, 2010, 21:28 »
I'm falling behind with so many jobs at the lottie, and when I walked into my polytunnel this morning I couldn't believe that a couple of days warm sun could produce so many weeds!!! There's nettles and what I think is bindweed, now, do I get my trusty fork out and put my back into it, or can I use Roundup and if I do, how long would I have to leave it before planting into the borders? Thanks, Jude.

smc

• Experienced Member
Re: Roundup in the polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 22:54 »
put your back into!!! really wanna tempt using that stuff in your tunnel?? :unsure:

peterjf

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 23:33 »
i would give myself the edge again , use round up ,

you need to get in front again ,

the weeds wont wait until you get down the plot ,

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 23:35 »
You can sow or plant into the soil as soon as the Roundup is dry on the leaves of the weeds. Roundup is broken down on contact with soil.

Try not to disturb the weeds for about a week to allow the Roundup to penetrate to the root tips. Even if they show no signs of yellowing they will be technically dead and can either be removed or left to die in situ.

If you already have some crops in the tunnel be very careful that the spray does not drift on to them by mistake. Better to use a can with a fine rose or a dribble bar rather than a sprayer.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 13:04 »
Fork and hoe!  :)

You can plant an area of land that has just been dug too! Weeds are broken down buy the contact of a hoe and that weed will never grow back.  Save your Round up for the Dandelions.

You are not behind, it’s spring everything will catch up.

Pick up some tools and fling some mud around.  It's what spring was made for.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 18:45 »
As you can see, a range of opinions!

If you are happy to use chemicals, then roundup will halt the onward growth of the weeds until you can tackle them (you'll still have to remove them once dead).

If you prefer not to use chemicals, and will be able to dedicate enough time to remove the weeds before they get any more invasive, then digging may be the way to go.

I just used roundup on lots of weeds in my garden as I know I won't be able to get on top of them before they get on top of me!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 18:49 »
I'm falling behind with so many jobs at the lottie, and when I walked into my polytunnel this morning I couldn't believe that a couple of days warm sun could produce so many weeds!!! There's nettles and what I think is bindweed, now, do I get my trusty fork out and put my back into it, or can I use Roundup and if I do, how long would I have to leave it before planting into the borders? Thanks, Jude.

wouldn't use it under cover,especially if you plan on growing tomatoes in there.
eradicate by hand would be my advice.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 18:51 »
wouldn't use it under cover,especially if you plan on growing tomatoes in there.

Can you explain your view?  What is the particular reservation you have with under cover & tomatoes?  The chemical is inert except on currently growing plant material.  Assuming no existing plants in the polytunnel, there is nothing to be affected by the risk of spray.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 19:00 »

Can you explain your view?  What is the particular reservation you have with under cover & tomatoes?  The chemical is inert except on currently growing plant material.  Assuming no existing plants in the polytunnel, there is nothing to be affected by the risk of spray.

i'm talking about glyphosate residue.tomatoes are very susceptable to this form of herbicide,shows itself as stunted side shoot development and severe curling of the growing tip.
glyphosate will eventually break down in the growing medium.but it has a much longer life span on interior surfaces.
MONSANTO had to change their description of ROUND UP as to it not being fully biodegradeable.
spray away if you wish,all i'm saying is that it's not something i would be doing.bob

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 19:14 »
Hi Everyone, I posted that question last night when I was far too tired, getting my kinckers in a twist about what needed to be done!!!!! Thanks for the replies. I've not used Roundup before, and think I was looking for an instant solution, and although I do think I'll be using it in another part of the lottie that is over run with bindweed and nettles, I'll grab my hoe and fork and burn some calories (actually, a lot of calories!) in the polytunnel. Thanks again lovely people.

DavidT

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 19:55 »
If you are going to hoe Bindweed and nettles in the polytunnel, you are just making a rod for your own back. You will not get rid of them that way, only INCREASE them. :lol: :lol: :D

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 20:00 »
i inherited a poly which was ground to roof full of weeds! nettles ect,, i cut alot down then used roundup, which killed majority of weeds, nd had no probs growing anything in there afterwards, toms chillis peppers peas broadbeans ect..

DavidT

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 20:02 »
Glyphosate is a weedkiller which is easier and safer, than others. :D

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 21:20 »
Oh flippin' heck, I'm dithering again now.........................!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 22:07 »
Hi Everyone, I posted that question last night when I was far too tired, getting my kinckers in a twist about what needed to be done!!!!! Thanks for the replies. I've not used Roundup before, and think I was looking for an instant solution, and although I do think I'll be using it in another part of the lottie that is over run with bindweed and nettles, I'll grab my hoe and fork and burn some calories (actually, a lot of calories!) in the polytunnel. Thanks again lovely people.

good decision,i wish you well. :)

xx
where to buy roundup?

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:44
by Aunt Sally
clip
Roundup

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 12:31
by snowdrops
xx
using roundup?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:49
by compostqueen
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo

Page created in 1.044 seconds with 36 queries.