Scar up or scar down?

• 7 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Scar up or scar down?
« on: April 18, 2010, 15:48 »
I am sure someone asked about this a couple of weeks ago, so I did an experiment with my dwarf beans. The answer is:

Dwarf beans - it didn't matter which way up I put the bean - they found their way to the top and shoots are appearing now.

Broad beans, however, are a little confused. I can't remember how I planted these but I have just had to turn one round as the roots were poking out of the top  ??? Thought the shoots were looking a bit odd!

Trillium

Re: Scar up or scar down?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 16:07 »
I've always seen broad beans planted with the widest side flat down. That way roots can come out of either edge and immediately burrow into the soil.  I'm pretty sure that's how I planted them as well.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 23:01 »
I've heard they are more likely to rot if planted flatsides down. I always plant on edge. Never really thought about scar up or down, I'll experiment next year. They always sort themselves out even if the roots go up to begin with

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 14:42 »
It's unlikely broad beans will rot on the flat side as they need a while to germinate. Check this video and you'll see this college plants them on their flat side as well. I doubt it really makes a difference as long as the bean gets planted and receives adequate moisture to germinate.

davethespread

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 15:03 »
i sowed my broad beans on their side and all but one came up then low and behold about a week later the last one came up,so patience is required too :D
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 15:05 »
Just think how nature would do it.  

Throw the seed out of the ripe pod and it would land... on it's side.

The radical does emerge going towards the scar end so planting the scar down would cause the plant less effort but gravity takes care of up and down for them anyway :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 15:14 »
strange isn't it, but I've never worried and just 'bunged them in' but this year I've had a bean that was growing root upwards :ohmy: But I suppose planted deeper it would have righted itself without me knowing :D.....but these 'new' composts do seem to slump down a lot in the pots  :(

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 22:43 »
Just realized I forgot to put on the video link  ::)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-plant-broad-beans

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 38 queries.