Help - Fox

• 22 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Re: Help - Fox
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 13:59 »
Chloe sorry to hear about your loss it must have been horrendous to actually see it happening.  We live in the countryside so no-one is offended by my husband "watering" the garden with his urine and up to now (been here 15 months) it seems to be working. Effective and free, hope it works for you
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

22fox

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 16:15 »
electric fence u cant go wrong! truely the best way!
I<3exbatts

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 22:40 »
Dogs especially dogs who hate foxes.
Deterrent class 2 since they cant be trusted with the chickens too high a prey drive.

12 bore chotgun, Deterrent No 1. If the fox passes the doggy pee then the sharp crack of a double barrelled shotgun may well enliven the proceedings.

The best deterrent of all is a secure perimeter fence and roofing over the run.

I have never lost a chicken to foxes although there are some about here but my dogs can hear a mouse break wind at the far end of the garden and want to investigate.
Bit of a pain at 3 a.m though when one of them tells me there is an intruder.

Sorry for your loss but hem foxes is cunning animals.

Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 08:49 »
As Hillfooter says I get my husband to pee around the net (taking care it is off first!!!!!!).

I also use the hair around the run one. I get it from my local hairdressers. I have no idea if it works only that I have not had an attack form the local foxes and I know they visit my land.

I now have an electric fence net but still use the hair - just in case :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 15:23 »
 :(Sorry to hear about your loss, it's so sad when we lose our animals. We used an electric poultry net fence, added a second for a while to give even more space and never had a fox problem either back in England or over here where there are lots of hungry foxes! As someone already said, you need to test it regularly ...not nice but needs must, to ensure it's working. We now have a couple of peacocks roaming free and I've seen them chase a fox off the drive so, if you have room, and nice neighbours get a peacock! If you have lots of land...get a couple of alpacas as they too see off foxes and can be used to guard poultry!!

Another suggestion is to keep changing things around in the garden, don't let the fox feel it's familiar territory. Put out a scarecrow, move it about, leave things in different places and move them often...then do the peeing stuff, the hair etc...belt and braces!

Good luck...you can never be 100% but you can always do a little more to keep your girls safe.

Judi

hendreary

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 16:16 »
As Hillfooter says I get my husband to pee around the net

We husbands have our uses ! ;)
Geoff Davis. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 22:07 »
As Hillfooter says I get my husband to pee around the net

We husbands have our uses ! ;)

Yes I consider it a duty to go down the pub regularly to stock up with teh raw material!
HF
Truth through science.

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 09:00 »
:(Sorry to hear about your loss, it's so sad when we lose our animals. We used an electric poultry net fence, added a second for a while to give even more space and never had a fox problem either back in England or over here where there are lots of hungry foxes! As someone already said, you need to test it regularly ...not nice but needs must, to ensure it's working. We now have a couple of peacocks roaming free and I've seen them chase a fox off the drive so, if you have room, and nice neighbours get a peacock! If you have lots of land...get a couple of alpacas as they too see off foxes and can be used to guard poultry!!

Another suggestion is to keep changing things around in the garden, don't let the fox feel it's familiar territory. Put out a scarecrow, move it about, leave things in different places and move them often...then do the peeing stuff, the hair etc...belt and braces!

Good luck...you can never be 100% but you can always do a little more to keep your girls safe.

Judi

That's interesting about the peacocks. Are they free range and do you need housing for them? :)

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 36 queries.