Help - Fox

• 22 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
Help - Fox
« on: April 17, 2010, 17:23 »
how do i keep the fox out? , she has just cought one of my chickens and i can't bare to see another one go i am attached to all of them. So please can soemone give me some adivce to keep the fox away? Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help - Fox
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 17:30 »
Ae they free ranging or in a run?
Staffies are softer than you think.

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 17:37 »
They are in a run, but we let them out for a hour everyday so they can get some fresh grass, but when i went up today at about 3 o'clock, i saw the fox just run off with her. So does anyone know how to keep the fox away or stop it getting into the run, because i'm scared the fox will come up again to feed and get into the run?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 17:49 »
Now that the fox has found a top quality food source then she will be back. Do not ever leave them unattended and don't turn your back on the girls as foxes are not frightened and will come in your garden even though you are there. Ideally they need to be kept in their run for a while. Make sure that the fox can't climb over or dig under it, so hopefully you will either have a solid covered run or a netted covered run. Place either a mesh skirt around the base of the run or dig mesh down into the ground.

Sorry about your other hen  :(

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 17:52 »
Thanks for your help, I will keep them in the run untill i know the fox has gone. I will fix their run up aswell. thanks :)

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 18:16 »
anymore advice from anyone?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 18:18 »
if you want them out on your lawn then whilst the fox is around you may need to look into electric fencing.

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 18:24 »
Oh ok :) does that really stop them?

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 18:28 »
usually but you do have to keep testing them to make sure they work, also ensure that there are no low parts or jumping off places (seats, walls etc) as foxes can jump  :(

hendreary

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 19:50 »
There are a number of fox deterants for sale on the internet that some people swear by. But an old farmer gave me a tip which I use and a few of my friends use and so far fingers crossed it seems to work. Get a male friend or partner to urinate around your garden and the fox will be put off.  And so will your neighbours!!
Geoff Davis. :)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 22:56 »
a fox jumped over our 1.2 m electric fence a few weeks ago and caught one of my girls (she is making an amazing recovery) but one of my other ones panicked and died when she got tangled in the elctric fence. It happened in the late afternoon - i dont take the risk of free ranging them at all now as we have heard the fox several times during the night and early morning since then.

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:23 »
Where do you live in an urban or country location.  Foxes behaviour can be quite different depending on where you live.  Urban foxes can be much more bold than their country cousins as they are used to seeing people and are less scared off by them.

I've used electric nets for 10 years in a country location and not lost a single bird despite there being many foxes around.  You need to understand how they workn and deploy them to best effect.  If you decide on an electric net it might be worth baiting it by wrapping a rasher of bacon round it to expose the fox to a shock or two which will help to deter it.  I've also used the urine trick or I claim I'm spraying fox deterrent.   Don't come home after a night at the pub, stocking up on the raw ingredients, and start the spraying without the presence of mind to switch off the net first!!

The electronic noise deterrents I don't have much faith in or the chemical ones though I've heard human hair in a old pair of tights hung on the corners also has a deterient effect.  Particularly the hair from under the arms or after doing the bikini line!
Best of luck.
HF
Truth through science.

TeaPots

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:29 »
 :blink: :blink: the mind boggles!  :lol:  who on earth thought that one up?

ciderman

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 11:22 »
hi you could get  a  dog  to walk round your fence my dog wee s every post /tree he see s  the smell would put the fox of

addy

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 13:47 »
Mine all free range, did have them behind a leccy fence, though did not look too happy, took it down, now they free range, and three days after taking the fence down started laying......though as i work at home it generally keeps the foxes out the way.

I live in the country on a farm and generally the gamekeepers keep the fox population down and there is also a source of cute little rabbits for them to feast on so I am taking the chance on having happy hens at an increased risk of predation.

Seems to really suit my Bhramas to just roam around.....they go for several hundred yards away to the rat nests to see what morsels are available....

I also pee around the perimeter of the garden, luckily no neighbours to offend.....when i lived in town i used to pee into a wine bottle and pour it around the perimeter, worked a treat.....

If any go missing i may go all Dirty Harry on Mr Fox..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 13:51 by addy »

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.