Chicken manure pellet

• 4 Replies

Kitty24

Chicken manure pellet
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:14 »
Hi, I was hoping for some advice.  In buying our new house we have inheritated a garden, and it has been neglected for a number of years.  So withhaving to start from scratch I would like to give the soil a boost, and heard that these pellets may help fertilise the soil, at an affordable price.

Could I please request some advice??

Thanks you so much,

Kitty24

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken manure pellet
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:38 »
The simple answer is yes, chicken manure pellets will give your soil a nutritional boost, but the real answer is that it depends on your soil type (sandy, loam or clay) and what you intend to grow there.

If it is mainly flower borders and you intend to keep it that way then presumably there is a lot of weeding to do; dressing with PCM would then give plants a bit of a boost.

If you are clearing an area for growing veg then your main problem is getting the weeds out. You can obviously feed the soil with PCM but it can't turn poor soil into wonderful stuff on its own so you need to think about manure and/or compost at some point (probably next year).

#
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 22:51 »
if your soil has not been producing anything but weeds it may already be quite fertile especially if leaf fall on it has not been disturbed over the years.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32 »
I use chicken pellets when I plant most things.

We moved into a house with a long neglected garden, but once we started clearing it, the soil was surprisingly good and we found some little treasures buried among the weeds and ivy, so don't rush to clear everything out without giving the plants in there a chance to shine.

Kitty24

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 14:00 »
Thanks everyone, thats great, thank you.  We have cleared a lot as we suffer badly from bindweed, so the soil has dried out, which I why I was thinking that it needed a boost!!!

All the best

xx
Manure help please

Started by Offwego on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 19:30
by Offwego
xx
Pig manure

Started by Hogboy on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 22:36
by Yorkie
question
Manure again.....sorry

Started by Sideshoot on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 11:08
by Sideshoot
xx
Manure

Started by GreenDavie on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 22:05
by peterjf

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 37 queries.