How to encourage broodiness in silkies!!

• 8 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
How to encourage broodiness in silkies!!
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:58 »
I know it will  come naturally at the most inconvenient time.... but I am getting 6 silkie eggs a day that I have no room in the bators for.... ..... so would like the hens to have the fun of having their own chicks to care for.

I have been advised by someone knowledgeable to just leave the eggs in place and when they feel they have laid enough then they will sit them.

Anyone have anything to add.... or any secret tips to share :)

Also have a  pair of lavander pekins which I get an egg every  other day from.... I thought the same with her :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How to encourage broodiness in silkies!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:29 »
When my son chicken sits he has sometimes forgotton to bring the eggs in (instead he gathers them up ready but then leaves them in a nesting box) and each time he has done this we have come back to broody hens  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 23:35 »
Thanks Joy :)

Well I answered my own question today :)

Left two days worth of eggs in situ.... today I have a broody :)

Not sure how long she will sit for.... first time mum and all that :) but nothing ventured :)

I have surrounded her chosen place with a wire pen as I didnt want to disturb her, but she chose to sit in the kennel where everyone else sleeps!!!

Fingers crossed :)

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:55 »
If in future you don't want to leave actual eggs in the nestbox then pot eggs, or at a pinch golfballs, are a good substitute and will encourage them to sit.

HF
Truth through science.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:15 »
I did ponder on that one, but if I keep taking the eggs home then I keep setting them off in the incubator :( :(

This way I am addressing my addiction to incubation... :) ..... kind of  :blink:

Also the eggs were free and I have not got either of the other choices so would need to go buy!!!!   :blink:

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:24 »
If in future you need to encourage them and want to use your own eggs then write in pencil the date, then everyday you can replace the egg with a fresh one so this way you wouldn't risk an egg going stale or exploding. However if you have an egg eater then you could be encouraging this trait so use pot eggs for encouragement  :D
Chookie chook how about starting a new thread on the chicken chat page now about this so we can all keep updated with her progress  :D. Hopefully she will stay sitting for you  :)
I leave my broodies in their chosen place for a few days, then I get their broody coup ready. I then pick up mum to be and with her under my arm I remove the eggs to their new coup a couple at a time with her watching all this happening. I then place her on the eggs and shut her up in the coup in the dark until the following day just to make sure she settles back on them. Next morning I then allow her out into her own run if she wants to come out. So far this method has worked for me and this years broodies are 2 that I hatched out last year also following this method  :D

TeaPots

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:18 »
I have the opposite ... 6 broody silkies, so no silkie eggs.  :mad:

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 15:14 »
got some araucana eggs if you want teapots  :D these have proved to be 100% fertile.
Today 5 have hatched - 4 lavender and 1 black giving me a total of 4 lavs, 5 blacks and 1 white with this years hatches. Just waiting now for 2 welsumers and 4 sablepoots. Wish I had got some black reds or blue reds hatched but there is always next year  :D

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 20:44 »
Thanks Joyfull, I will keep all that in my memory banks :)

I have a rat problem in the next stable to where they broody is so have spent today removing the large chest freezer where they seemed to be nesting (feathers lining the nests)  :unsure:  and chucked it out..... cleared all of the flooring of poos and left as little as possible in there for the rats to hide in.... put more bait down and will wait for the little, or judging by the size of the poos... large * to die  >:(

I realise that  the rats would kill the chicks if I were so lucky as to get any..... so far she is sitting tight and judging by the size of her poo, has been for 24 hours  :tongue2:

I will make another thread, thanks for saying that.... i didnt know that it would make good reading :)  Day one.... sitting..... day two .... sitting etc 

But I could jazz it up if any of the others start to sit too  :D

xx
What can I do to encourage my hens to lay?

Started by sarah1983jane on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 18:57
by jinty1911
xx
How can i encourage one of my hens to become broody?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 16:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
Wild ducks -- encourage or deter ??????

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 07:19
by joyfull
xx
Broodiness

Started by Budboy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 13:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.