cucumber first timer

• 9 Replies

peanut

• Experienced Member
cucumber first timer
« on: April 16, 2010, 18:12 »
Hi folks

I've never grown cucumbers before (basically because I don't care for them) but OH wants some after seeing them on GW the other night.  I happened to have a packet of seed that came free with a copy of some magazine or other but it says to remove male flowers when they appear.

What is the visual difference between the male and female flowers? She wants to raise them as her project this year.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

zazen999

Re: cucumber first timer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 18:26 »
Male flowers do not have little cuces behind them.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 18:54 »
Male flowers do not have little cuces behind them.

cuces???
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 19:19 »
shorthand for cucumbers

another shorthand you'll see is cues  :wub:

Basically, if the flower has a mini cucumber behind it, it's female.  No cucumber and it's male.  I think.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 19:54 »
Spot on, Yorkie. :D

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 20:10 »
Cucumbers are not like us....basically its the ladies with the sticky out penislike shapes...the males are flat behind the flowers.

they are also suicidal at the best of the times and want you to do everything inclusing read them a bedtime story - the spoilt brats of the plant world until the weather gets nice then they want a parasol too!

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 20:53 »
Cucumbers are not like us....basically its the ladies with the sticky out penislike shapes...the males are flat behind the flowers.

they are also suicidal at the best of the times and want you to do everything inclusing read them a bedtime story - the spoilt brats of the plant world until the weather gets nice then they want a parasol too!

Good grief they sound just like my boys! Maybe I shouldn't bother with cucumbers then as my policy is to ignore spoilt brat type behaviour completely, not too sure I will have the patience for these babies.

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 20:56 »

Good grief they sound just like my boys! Maybe I shouldn't bother with cucumbers then as my policy is to ignore spoilt brat type behaviour completely, not too sure I will have the patience for these babies.

seriously it is pretty simple...keep them warm now, keep them warm later and dont get the leaves wet and don't put them in full sun...they are shy

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 20:57 »
oh and leave the penis like stuff.

prakash_mib

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 21:51 »
Last year I grew one of those prickly varieties. seeded 12, and finally made to 4 plants. Two at back garden in a large pot and two at the plot. but didnt bothered with them at all. they did allright until september and when it went cold one night in oct, the cues went bitter. so i pulled them out. But growing them is not so challenging I would assume. Challenge is to sprout aubergene seeds. put two 24 batch and i have one plant left this year.
Probably there is someone who throws cues seeds on manure mound and they romp...
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

xx
First Timer

Started by Katja on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 14:19
by John
xx
First Timer

Started by rpadley on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 23:34
by compostqueen
grin
help!!! first timer grower!!!

Started by mrswaff on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 13:41
by fletcherbaker
xx
Allotment first timer!!

Started by Laura020101 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 23:22
by lancashiregardeninggal

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 36 queries.