courgettes

• 26 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Re: courgettes
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 22:42 »
Actually, thinking about it, it's darn clever.  Sell courgette plants in April, people will buy them, they'll die off, purchaser goes back to buy more to replace them.

Just think if they sold them even earlier, they could get people to part with money three times for the same thing  :tongue2:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

viettaclark

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 22:55 »
I must have a tropical micro climate and I know my patio is very protected. Tomatoes and courgettes have been outside uncovered all this week with ground frost temps and I risked it as I have plenty of seed but no window sills left or a greenhouse. So far they're all thriving......Forecast for us is no different next week so it looks ok..........
Last year they were put out in April...in 2008 it was March!!!

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 22:58 »
I sowed a single outdoor cucumber 2 weeks ago, 2 courgettes, 2 pumpkins and 2 yellow squash plants last week, all of which germinated in my heated propagator.

They all grew but are still in 3" pots on windowsill ( with foil backing). I shall pot them on in bigger pots in next couple of weeks and then after another week or so will put them in my seedhouse ( unheated coldframe thingy).

Hope to be able to plant out in May but will be rushing out with fleece if there are frosts.

If they succume to frost/wind/slugs will have to resow, but I'm prepared to take my chances in order to try for early cropping.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 00:15 »
I sowed a single outdoor cucumber 2 weeks ago, 2 courgettes, 2 pumpkins and 2 yellow squash plants last week, all of which germinated in my heated propagator.

They all grew but are still in 3" pots on windowsill ( with foil backing). I shall pot them on in bigger pots in next couple of weeks and then after another week or so will put them in my seedhouse ( unheated coldframe thingy).

Hope to be able to plant out in May but will be rushing out with fleece if there are frosts.

If they succume to frost/wind/slugs will have to resow, but I'm prepared to take my chances in order to try for early cropping.

From my experience I would say that cucumbers are the most at risk... they really do not like cold nights / changes in temperature. In-door varieties can collapse as a result of a chilly over-night temperature  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 00:26 »
Oh dear I put mine out about a week ago as they were too big to keep inside. As it's my first year I'm probably a bit too keen but to be honest they are thriving at the moment with loads of new leaves. I'll sow a couple more now just in case as I love courgettes.

seems on here a lot of folk are to kean to sow early.i fully understand the urge,but come on folks give ya heads a shake and ease back by 2-3 weeks.
ya'll save a lot of work and expense by doing so.grow a punnet of cress for now lol.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 09:27 »
hi all ive put out 5 courgettes on sunday they r now 2 left but theres no sign of slugs  any ideas thanks bob

You don't always see signs of slugs but they are likely to be responsible, especially if there is the stalk left. Its not too late to re sow, in fact it has as the others have said it might be a tad cold for them anyway. When I plant mine out I do use slug pellets (which  I know others will throw their hands up in horror at the thought) but with limited growing room every plant counts.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 12:10 »
seems on here a lot of folk are to kean to sow early.i fully understand the urge,but come on folks give ya heads a shake and ease back by 2-3 weeks.
ya'll save a lot of work and expense by doing so.grow a punnet of cress for now lol.

Please understand that us 'down south' folk do these early sowings, and, with a crafty application of fleece when needed, we mostly get away with it :D ......(cucumbers being the exception :lol: awkward beggars they are!)

But please consider your own weather carefully, to see if you think it is worth the waste if they fail :(

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 12:19 »
I think "a month before last frost" is a good maxim - and not "last frost with my fingers crossed" as even if no actual frost it will still be cold an night ... the "last frost" date I use is 1st June, and most years we don't get a frost in May. If you are being as pessimistic about Frost / Cold nights as me then maybe "6 weeks before last frost" is OK ... but any cold when they are planted out knocks them back a lot.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30 »
We don't really get much frost here at all even when the whole country was covered in ice and snow we were fine as we're right next to the coast it tends to keep the temps up ever so slightly so I'm still hoping my baby courgettes will be okay. They are in a wee thrown together cold frame now and I do have plenty seeds left if they do give up. I bet most of you old timers were as keen as us newbies once upon a time.  ;) 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 12:56 »
Still just as eager ... only difference is that I lie about it more now :D

ciderman

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 21:55 »
hi all as i live in doncaster we do call it sunny donny  we dont get much frost     the courgettes were under flees over night then open in the day   it turned out to be awoody that comes in a morning  when we feed the chooks   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 22:06 »
At least now you know and can put some net on  ::)

xx
courgettes... or not

Started by nuttytart on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 21:37
by Herb
xx
Help with courgettes

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 15:10
by andreadon
xx
Courgettes

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 14:00
by JayG
xx
Courgettes

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 12:51
by yummy

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.