sowing compost

• 16 Replies

prakash_mib

sowing compost
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:29 »
Is it me or something else? have been using sowing and cutting compost (expensive one) from Beeq uptill now and over the last week I bought loads of westland with added johns inn and sowed my louffa and other squash varieties. blimey they are sprouting and gosh they look healthy and beautiful. have i done anything wrong/right or is it the weather making the sprouts coming good even indoors?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

darthpaul

• Host Fantastic
Re: sowing compost
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:34 »
My seeds are also doing great - Check them out
My Growing Blog

I also run a Web Hosting Company and a popular Fish Keeping Website

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:56 »
I used sowing compost last year and the seeds did not do will. This year i have used a multi purpose compost and they are doing great.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07 »
Well done but int it a bit early for squashes?  Or is luffa going in the greenhouse. Scuse my hignorance  :D  I ask as I think I have some luffa seed in my tin  :)

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:08 »
just by chance I picked up a small 10 litre Westland lightweight compost I know its expensive but i needed it for work to pot up our chilli challenge and wow its wonderful stuff the chillis are lovin it infact even though I may sound strange I would be happy sitting in it lol. Ive bough some more for my special plants.

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26 »
Well done but int it a bit early for squashes?  Or is luffa going in the greenhouse. Scuse my hignorance  :D  I ask as I think I have some luffa seed in my tin  :)
just trying my luck.. i've been reading a lot about temperature zones and the region i come in is 9B so probably to start in mid april (like sweetcorns). I dont have greenhouse. everything will be chucked out one by one from mid of may onwards. the other squash i mentioned is bitter melon (squash/gourd... confusing).
I have got 15 seeds of each (louffa, bitter melon, snake gourd) so trying 5 /batch.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 13:12 »
Is this the peat free Westland you're speaking of???????????  They also do a peat based one which is why I'm asking, as I need some compost

Ta

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 13:25 »
I have used Westland with JI several times and it has always been very reliable although I'm afraid it's not peat-free.

(An old dear for whom I fetch compost grows nearly all her stuff in pots and containers and won't let me buy any other brand!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 13:49 »
I wondered what Prakash was using

prakash_mib

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 14:05 »
read the whole bag and it does have some peat in it (am cheating!!! arent I)
but remember i used the saw dust Beeq sowing compost to grow my tom and cues seedlings and they are as bad as it can be.
I used westland with JI multipurpose compost for growing sweetcorns, lablab, snake gourd, bitter melon, climbing variety of squash, louffa and all had 100% germination (well I had one seed rotten in lablab but still can live with that) will certainly post some pictures of the seedlings today when i reach home as they are absolutely beautiful.
P.S: I have used the same to pot my seedlings as well. and the cues seems to like them! ("unconcerned" hope you read this) and my leggy okras, toms etc.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 14:15 »
ok then so it's the peat based one. They do the same potting compost with added John Innes but with peat free, which is why I asked

Thanks

I'm off to get some as some of my plantlets need potting on  :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 14:24 »
 :ohmy: read my post myself and gobsmacked by myself. Till last year All i knew was put a seed and they will grow. now am talking about sowing compost, composition, seedling, potting and all the stuffs.
well done prakash! you have learnt a lot in this site!  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 14:48 »
I am a levingtons man, however Geoff next door but has always said his westland has been superb, never had problems with it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

prakash_mib

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 22:35 »
some of germinations in westlands

louffa and the one farthes visible on left is bitter melon.

sweetcorns - all of them

lablab. the small ones are garden huckleberries(Beeq ones).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 22:37 by prakash_mib »

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 23:13 »
I use old compost the potatoes grew in the previous year and always get great germination, but then I have to be different.  LOL
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Compost as a seed sowing medium.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 18:22
by Kleftiwallah
xx
What's the current best compost for seed sowing ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post November 19, 2022, 18:51
by Subversive_plot
xx
Which compost is good for sowing seeds please ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 27, 2019, 15:15
by Pescador
xx
What kind of Seed Sowing Compost

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 22:49
by splodger

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 38 queries.