(stupid) Compost question

• 18 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
(stupid) Compost question
« on: April 13, 2010, 19:36 »
Sorry for the silly ? but can all veg and fruit waste go in the compost? I throw most things in but just wondered about onion skins/peelings and orange/satsuma peelings etc I am assuming yes they can and I am sure my stupidity is caused through lack of sleep sorry lol

Also fruit tea bags I assume yes but wanted to check lol

Cheers guys Nicky (a very tired Nicky) xxx

DavidT

Re: (stupid) Compost question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 19:39 »
Yes, Nicky, you can put these things on the compost heap. :D And you are NOT being stupid, so get that thought out of your head. :) :)

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 19:48 »
Thanks huni I thought you could as it would't make sense if you couldn't but then I doubted myself and panicked ha ha my question probably would have been better asking if there is any fruit or veg waste you can't put in apart from the obvious bit ie once it is cooked and covered in gravy and left on the plate ha ha

xxx

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 19:53 »
Don`t add anything cooked, that`s when you start getting rats.  :D

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 20:03 »
Even put the contents of our cleaner bag, odd bits of cardboard paper tissues and if you can get the family to pee in a bucket and put that in your on to a winner with your compost.  Another good accelerator is comfrey leaves, they're just beginning to grow now.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 20:09 »
A few years ago I dug out the compost heap and found what looked like a piece of thick felt. After wondering about it for ages I remembered that I had put a full vaccuum cleaner bag on there. It must have been the cat hair.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 20:10 »
I plan on having a bucket in my shed (when I get one) for family pee lol but read on someone elses thread that apparently you should only use male pee and asked if this was right and if girl pee would harm it but don't think anyone got back to me?

So hoover bags too huh well erm does it matter that my hoover is regularly sucking up glitter, hair clips and the odd sock lol

Nicky

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 20:19 »
The qualities of different pee have been discussed previously  :wub:

Apparently male pee has different ingredients (don't know what - perhaps hormones) from lady pee.  Lady pee does no harm but not really any good either, whereas male pee does have an active effect of some sorts.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 20:22 »
Mmmm so do you think I could send my son to the plot everytime he needs a pee or would that be wrong lol.

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 20:36 »
All urine contains urea which is a good source of nitrogen and help the compost rot down quicker. The only problem with female urine would be if they are on the contraceptive pill when it would contain the hormone estrogen(sp?) which is linked with feminisation in fish populations downstream of sewer outlets.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 20:51 »
Nice lol

Thanks for the info guys.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 21:36 »
All urine contains urea which is a good source of nitrogen and help the compost rot down quicker. The only problem with female urine would be if they are on the contraceptive pill when it would contain the hormone estrogen(sp?) which is linked with feminisation in fish populations downstream of sewer outlets.

........not to mention the risk of turning your tatties into t*tties!    :lol:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 21:38 »
Even put the contents of our cleaner bag, odd bits of cardboard paper tissues and if you can get the family to pee in a bucket and put that in your on to a winner with your compost.  Another good accelerator is comfrey leaves, they're just beginning to grow now.

Well it's pretty much guaranteed that despite me saying " have you been to the loo" before we leave the house, within half an hour of being on the lotty, four year old will say "I need a wee" - consequently our compost heap on the lotty is probably producing extremely good compost  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

solway cropper

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 23:10 »
If you have a closed compost bin like a 'dalek' you can add cooked material. I've been doing it for years without any rat problems. I would caution against putting cooked meat in though.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 17:11 »
Some people advise against adding onions and oranges/citrus because they make the compost acidic - but most people agree that the effect would be negigible. Worms in wormeries don't like them. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? I certainly put all mine in.
Rachael

xx
Compost question (stupid!)

Started by charley1980 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 15:32
by gregmcalister
xx
Stupid question - but very new to this :)

Started by mo-jo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 21:34
by Bailz
xx
Another stupid question

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 08:17
by cathangirl
xx
may be a stupid question

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 09:57
by operabunny

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 38 queries.