Brassica newbie question

• 4 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Brassica newbie question
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:48 »
Hello,
This might be a stupid question, but ...  (I've never done much brassica growing before).

Because I'm still digging my brassica bed (new allotment from grass) I've sown brassicas (cabbages of various varieties, caulis, PSB etc) into pots at home and I'll transplant them into the brassica bed in a few weeks' time.

I gather that I could plant these things direct into a seed bed this time of year.  If they're in pots instead, do they need to be kept sheltered (I have a plastic greenhouse) all the time/just at night/never or are they OK in a sheltered corner of my patio?

Thank you! :tongue2:

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Pompey Spud

Re: Brassica newbie question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57 »
I've just potted on my seedlings.

I hardened them off gradually in the coldframe and now they're outside all the time while I wait for about 4/6 true leaves.

They prefer cooler temps but I'm a wee bit further south than you so I'd just check nightime temps.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

gillie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:01 »
I would put them in a sheltered corner and keep them watered until you are ready for them.

You do not mention calabrese but they hate root disturbance so this is actually the best way of growing them.  The others could be be sown in a seed bed, but will do perfectly well, perhaps even better, grown in pots particularly if you only want a few.

Gillie

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25 »
Thank you Pompey and Gillie, that is veyr helpful.
I have got Calabrese too, so that's good news!
Penny

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 21:13 »
I'm no expert, but I think the general consensus is that Brassicas are hardy and do NOT benefit from being molly-coddled and kept warm. So once they have their first true leaves put them out during the day. Being in a small pot their feet will get much colder at night than if they were in the soil, so bringing them in for the night (or putting them in a cold frame etc. that can be closed) will be good, but don't leave them in a hot greenhouse during the day.

Brassicas generally need to go into very firm ground, so if you are spring-digging make sure you stamp it down well before planting (seems daft, I know, but that;s what they like!)

xx
Brassica Question

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2014, 22:50
by bravemurphy
xx
Brassica Question

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 19:15
by gobs
xx
Yet another brassica question...

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 21:12
by Muddylou
xx
Another brassica netting question?

Started by Running bean on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 21:09
by Running bean

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 36 queries.