• 8 Replies

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
chook problem..(hi everyone)..too late... :(
« on: April 12, 2010, 19:42 »
Hi everyone... Long time no chat

I hope everyone is keeping well, and all the chooks and duckies are doing super.

I gave my lottie up at the beginning of the year, and I have got my ladies at home now. I have just come back from a long weekend away at the coast with the family, to discover I have a very fluffed up lady, who is not happy at all, and is drinking lots. I am sure I have seen something on here about the drinking lots, but i cant for the life of me think where it was, and i am useless with the search facility... and as I am not sure how long she has been off colour, i dont want to spend a day or two searching through the inevitable 1000's of search results I get when looking for an answer...

anyone got any ideas please? havent seen her poop as yet, her comb is starting to tinge blue at the tips, her breathing is normal, and her breath smells ok. her eyes are clear and shiny, and there is nothing from coming from her nose... she is lethargic, fluffed up, and pretty much drowsy, and will be handled and cuddled without putting up any fuss at all... (unheard of)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:57 by chooknewbie »

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: chook problem..(hi everyone)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 21:56 »
sorry to hear about your poorly girl - how old is she and what type?

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
Re: chook problem..(hi everyone)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56 »
Hi Lucy,

She was a warren and would be 3 years old this year, so not old at all...no idea what was wrong with her, but she passed this morning. :(  Thanks for your reply. Had hoped to get a bit of guidance from some of the members I used to chat with on here with, but it is too late to do anything, and the replies didnt come.  :unsure:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:58 by chooknewbie »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chook problem..(hi everyone)..too late... :(
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04 »
sorry chucknewbie I must have missed your post so unfortunatly never got to reply  :(. So sorry to read about your hen  :( xx.
Drinking excessive water can be because the weather has improved or could have been because of a kidney infection, however please do keep a close eye on your other girls just in case it was something else, and if they do show any signs that are the same then I would advise you take one along to a vets to get it checked out, but as you probably know chickens hide their illnesses very well and often when they start to show symptoms it can be too late.
Staffies are softer than you think.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:20 »
no worries joyful, i know they get ill and sometimes just seem to keel over.. its just so frustrating that it always seems to happen whilst you have been away, so by the time you get back its too late. I kept her seperated last night, which i felt so guilty for but like you say, when you dont know what it is you cant risk contamination... although i am sure she will have passed if it can be..... :unsure:

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:50 »
So sorry.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 13:30 »
Really sorry to hear your poorly girl didn't make it. Hope rest remain well.

Nice to see you about, wish it was in better circumstances.  :(
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 15:42 »
thanks Jeanette

nice to have a look around again Kate, but there seems to be quite a few faces missing!

So far all the others seem to be bocking around in the garden quite happily, so fingers crossed it was just something off with her, and not something she has passed around...

treacleminer

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 22:19 »
A couple of my warrens died in a similar manner.  The breed/hybrid are not long lived and of the four I had 2 were under 3 when they died, the oldest reached 4 - I may be wrong but I have not heard of many warrens surviving much longer than that.
Just be glad she went relatively quickly and painlessly after a happy life.

xx
A problem chook.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 21:24
by 3Bluebelles
xx
chook with eye problem?

Started by djt on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 19:44
by djt
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Chook run

Started by denbo73 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 17:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.