really not sure how much food to give them! chickens are 10 weeks old
anyone out there that can help
much appriciated
 :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 18:31 »
they should have growers or rearers pellets fed ad lib all day. Then when they get to about 16 weeks start to change them over onto layers pellets but introduce these gradually over a couple of weeks  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

slop jockey

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 18:46 »
unfortunatley not able to feed ad lib all day as in work,  i fed them this morning and when i came home it was all gone.the breeder just said give them a handful each, but what size handful?. in the end i gave in and gave them some more as they were all loitering around the feeder. they went at it like good uns, so i was looking for some sort of quantity that i could weigh out so as to have a better idea.  :)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 18:54 »
Hens are not like dogs or cats they are grazing animals and as such they need feed all day. Just put some into their feeder and leave it down for them then collect it up in the evening. You don't need to be there when they are eating they will help themselves to it from their feeder. If you are finding that all their food ahs gone then you are not providing them with enough - this could create problems with fighting and pecking each other. Make sure you have a large enough feeder to hold more than they can eat in a day. I use a couple of feeders that hold 6kg each and before I got these they had a feeder that held 20kg but I found this a bit large for putting away at night.

slop jockey

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 19:10 »
thanks. i have 8 chickens and have a 6kg feeder, which should be ample. so do you suggets that i basically fill the feeder, let them graze all day, and then remove it when they go to bed! as i'm new to this i thought that they would just keep on eating which is no good for them, so i was looking at different sites to see what they were saying. a lot of them say that " a fully grown chicken should be fed approx 160 - 180 grammes per bird per day. so i was trying to figure out how much a 10 week should have as there doesn't seem to be much info on this.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 19:16 »
thats exactly what I am saying  :lol:
Growing birds like puppies and children will eat more as they need more to help them develop. Make sure though that it is growers or rearers that you are feeding them on at this age. People give rough guides to how much but that is just that a rough guide. Most chickens will only eat just what they need unlike dogs or children  ;)  :lol:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 19:41 »
They will eat as many pellets as they need. but will stuff themselves with as much "treats" as they possibly can, so keep their treats down to a minumum ie a handful of corn in the evening or a few grapes, or they will get fat and fat chickens don't lay so well. The pellets contain all the vitamins and goodness they need.

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 20:24 »
I also scatter layer pellets during the day if I'm home, as if I go into the garden then run up for treats but don't seem to mind what.  They also free range all day so they don't just eat the pellets.

slop jockey

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 20:59 »
sorry took so long to reply, had to take the dog out. as i got back it was quite dark so i was expexting them all to be tucked up in bed he he but no they were chirping away under the coop, so again like last night i gave them a helping hand inside. is this wrong?
thanks for the advice about feeing i will fill the feeder up and let them fill their boots so to speak. i fully expext to be back with other questions soon. thank you all.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 21:15 »
dont worry they will get the hang of going to bed by themselves soon  :)

xx
Hen feeding

Started by babradburn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 17:59
by compostqueen
xx
Feeding

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 00:19
by Robin Redbreast
xx
feeding mum

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 12:51
by agingchick
xx
Feeding

Started by debih on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 12:21
by debih

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 37 queries.