should I or shouldnt I ??

• 16 Replies

finty22

should I or shouldnt I ??
« on: April 11, 2010, 20:17 »
Hi all ... I took on 1/2 a plot last year and was aware of the committment it would be so didnt want a whole plot - the plan was to make sure I could keep it up for a year and reevaluate it.
Well!! 1 year later I'm addicted and there are some vacant plots that have just come up on our site ... should I go for a whole plot?? My only concern is that I dont want to give up my 1/2 plot that I have put sooooo much work into???  any ideas??
Mel

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: should I or shouldnt I ??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 20:19 »
Is there a half plot fairly near you that you could take ?

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 20:19 »
Keep the half plot but also take a full plot. :D

finty22

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 20:22 »
aunt sally ... never thought about it, but I think one of the vacant plots is next to me (and had a ruck of manure sat on it over winter) so will email and ask the question right now!! ... thank you
(** walking off kicking myself for not thinking of it myself**)  ;)

plot6b

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 20:22 »
Thats strange I took on a full plot and now I'm looking for an additional half plot. Hence I would go for both Finty22.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 20:24 »
Oh the dilema :blink:

Personally I would see what and where the available plots are.  I know the soil in our site varies so much so that I wouldn't even manage to work another part of the site because it is such heavy clay I would never be able to dig it. See what is on offer and then decide.

There are days when I wish the people at the end of mine would give up and by a miracle I would be offered it - fat chance :(

Let us know
Missy

finty22

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 20:31 »
BOTH???? am really not sure that I could cope with the work or the veg to be honest ... there is only 2 of us and the neighbours were hiding from me last year when they saw me coming with my basket of courgettes and runner beans  :)

I think the plan is to see if I can take 1/2 of the plot next door if available and if they wont consider letting me have just 1/2 I will take on the whole of the plot (and keep mine for a year to see how I get on) .....  speaking to my hubbie he reckons I just (just???? he has no idea) put fruit bushes in.

what a quandry!?!?

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 20:49 »
Oh the dilema :blink:

Personally I would see what and where the available plots are.  I know the soil in our site varies so much so that I wouldn't even manage to work another part of the site because it is such heavy clay I would never be able to dig it. See what is on offer and then decide.

There are days when I wish the people at the end of mine would give up and by a miracle I would be offered it - fat chance :(

Let us know
Missy

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 20:59 »
we would take on a third at the drop of a hat, so the both vote is from me.

I would lift my house and pop it on the plot if I could  :lol:

I dont waste anything from the plot as I have us four and great grandad to feed and between us all its gets used.

Only the runner beans and courgettes made it into pickle jars and they still get used  :lol:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 21:24 »
Well been here and got the Tshirt, i took another half plot that no one wanted as it had a big soil mound at one end, i leveled it over a few months and then a top half of one closer that came up so had that as well.

So my 3/4 plot and 2 halfs with me so far then the bottom half of the second half came up in a bad way with another big big mound of soil so i give up the first half that i leveled out lots of beds dug and ready to go. Then took the bottom half of my second half and made a full plot that is right on the other side of the footpath.

I must have moved 12ton of soil in the time it took to get the plot i wanted hahahaha. Ive made 4 plots usable in the last year and dont plan on doing any more.

I got what i want now its a long way of getting what you want but it might work for you taking a bit and working it closer and closer as they come up.

Hope the above makes sence  :wacko:
Thanks
Kris

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 21:34 »
Go for it, that's what I say. If you find out it's too much for you then you can always let them know and they can offer it to someone else. You are lucky getting offered more land, I'm on a waiting list that is at least 5 years long. I've ended up looking around and luckily found a piece of land that I'm renting for £50 a year, would rather it be an allotment because I feel I am missing out on the meeting of people and chatting to them all. Good luck with whatever you decide to do  :)

gypsy

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 23:02 »
The waiting list for plots in our area is huge so we are only allowed one plot, so some folks get plots in their partners names so that they can have 2.
Catherine

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21 »
Well, sounds like a perfect situation to me. I'd take both too. At the very worst, if you do find it too much, you might be able to find someone to share the whole plot with you. You'll kick yourself later for not taking the opportunity to expand.

Just think of all the things you've wanted to grow but didn't have space for...

And your husband's idea isn't a bad one, really. A rhubarb plant alone can take up a fair bit of room. Plus you could put in a bed of asparagus. Bet the neighbours wouldn't go running when they see you with an armful of that. You might suddenly become the most popular resident on your street!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:33 »
we have 2 plots and we use one for the permanent things like asparagus, raspberries and strawberries and all the other fruit bushes, its amazing how much room they can take up

harry

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32 »
I would go for the extra plot, they only give 1/2 plots on sites near me because of the waiting list and i could do with a bit more land. :wub:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.