Just an idea

• 2 Replies

amj

Just an idea
« on: April 11, 2010, 17:18 »
Hello.....
I have 3 hens a black star a light sussex and atilla the hen
atilla is a white leghorn who is deranged ' has been from birth'
well i like peace in my hen house' the other two like to sit on the perch in the run in the sun an preen ' but with a manic loony in their mists it's hard ' and i find those two
behaving like manic attilla as she is mad all day they copy her.......it's like she is on speed
And now she has started for no reason that I know to attack Clary ' who is so mild'
an hold her down by the coom an sit on her.... every time they are near....poor Clary
I was wondering if I find a home for atilla' or the axe ' could I then bring in two new
mild hens just like Clarry and Harriette..?  I have no room to include another run so would have to just plunge them in ! or should I just stay with the two .. if it's too much grief'

Thanks all you eggsperts..... Tony

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Just an idea
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 17:32 »
you really would need to isolate the newcomers just in case they have any infections (these may not show for up to 7 days). Have you tried putting anti peck spray or ukadex on Clary? Failing that you can get beak bits which prevent the bully from being able to grab feathers or combs. These are available from the domestic fowl trust over the Internet. Do they have enough to occupy them in their run? Boredom can lead to hens attacking each other. Also there is no guarantee that when introducing new hens that any of them will be mild temperament (they may seem so in their old environment but when moved they may turn out to be just like Attila).
Staffies are softer than you think.

amj

Re: Just an idea
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 18:01 »
Good point !

xx
Just an idea so far

Started by friend on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 19:09
by evie2
xx
When will they get the idea?

Started by sunshinemedic on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 17:22
by sunshinemedic
xx
Any idea

Started by Country Bill on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 18:19
by slowef
xx
any idea what it could be

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 17:12
by karlooben

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 29 queries.