think I need to start again :-(

• 4 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
think I need to start again :-(
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:05 »
planted some broad beans, peas, leeks and beetroot in newspaper pots and loo roll inners about 2 and a half weeks ago in my little plastic greenhouse, no sign of anything, do I wait, or start again and if I start again shall I keep indoors or sow direct into the ground now.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Re: think I need to start again :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:20 »
I'd try all those (except the leeks) direct sown. But no harm in leaving what you've got for a couple of weeks longer to see whether anything comes up before you give up on them.

Certainly my leeks took about 4 weeks to show - but all the other things popped up pretty quick, within a week or two.

All of those seeds should be ok to sow outside in your greenhouse, but make sure on sunny days you are unzipping  it & getting some fresh air in - they're starting to get quite hot now when the sun is out.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:48 »
All of those seeds should be ok to sow outside in your greenhouse, but make sure on sunny days you are unzipping  it & getting some fresh air in - they're starting to get quite hot now when the sun is out.
I managed to destroy some cabbage seedlings when I forgot to unzip my plastic greenhouse the other day! They really do get hot. The lot at the top roasted!  I've now resown more and have just put them outside in a sheltered place. 
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:06 »
Unwrap one of each type and have a look to see what's happened. The seeds may have germinated but yet to come through or may have rotted (or even baked!)

I suspect the temperature fluctuations in mini-greenhouses at this time of year are quite exreme without careful attention so I think you would be better off bringing them indoors to a light windowsill (starting again if necessary.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 16:47 »
I'm finding things rather slow to germinate this year, especially with seed from last year despite keeping them cold over winter, so don't give up just yet. Do what JayG says and good luck.!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Having to start all over again.......

Started by prestongirl82 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:20
by Ema
xx
what to start now

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 10:15
by DD.
xx
Help!! Where do i start?

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:55
by richyrich7
xx
where do i start ????

Started by WOODY7 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 19:24
by moose

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 37 queries.