treating frightened chickens.

• 7 Replies

patandlaura

treating frightened chickens.
« on: April 10, 2010, 19:49 »
I have been enjoying reading the forum and noting advice as I have only had my two birds for three weeks.
 I am concerned though, as how I can check for parasites or do anything with them where they need handling.  They are becoming a little less  shy, coming for food etc. but keep their distance always.
Clipping their wings was a major task needing a quick grab in the coop and a cloth thrown over their heads. 

What will I do if they need powder for getting rid of mites?

Elcie

Re: treating frightened chickens.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 19:57 »
Have they started laying yet?  Once they have started laying they tend to crouch when you approach them and they are quite easy to pick up at this stage.

Failing that, bribery usually works well.  Give them a small treat of an afternoon/early evening (eg a couple of grapes, a handful of corn, some dried mealworms) from your hand and they will soon be very tame as they will want the treats!  Not too many though but a few is ok.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 20:56 »
They will become better dont worry! In the meantime if you do need to handle them do it at night after they have gone to bed as they are so much calmer when they are sleepy ;)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 21:06 »
If you give them treats they will soon come running to you when you open the door. If you want to treat for mites etc just put the insecticide powder in their dust bath.

patandlaura

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 21:13 »
Thanks for replying.
Yes, they are laying, but when approached, rather than crouching down, they turn and walk the other way!
We use a handful of corn to entice them back into the run but will try to get them to eat out of our hands.

It sounds hopeful that it will become better, especially as we are spending a lot of time with them.
 Nobody told us that housework doesn't get done when you have chickens. We choose jobs in the garden where we can watch them!

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 21:31 »
Once they have gone to bed for the night it is easy to get them and powder them.  Still a 2 man job though and you do get covered in powder.  The first time I did mine I picked one up powdered it and put it back in the coop if they flapped they just spread the powder on each other.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:47 by Henlady »

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:08 »
If you kneel down and put the bird facing you between your legs it will calm down (and can't move anyway) so you can give it a good dusting. They have a sense of humour and will play games with you. We have a rule; if I pick up a sweeping brush then no games, I mean business. Otherwise they do as they like. Try doing something like checking the tyre pressures on your car. You'll have lots of chook advice, one running off with the dustcaps, one on the pump and the others so curious that you won't be able to see the valve. Have fun

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 14:03 »
Hi there I'm having the same problem, only had the chickens for a couple of weeks and I find them so fasinating that the house work is definately taking a back seat! Bribery is working with me, when I need to pick them up.

xx
treating chickens for capillaria (hairworms)

Started by gonda on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 22:41
by ANHBUC
xx
treating a hen house

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 22:53
by grinling
xx
Treating/medication

Started by red on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 10:00
by bantam novice
xx
Treating red mite

Started by susiepoos on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 08:17
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 30 queries.