Help (again)

• 4 Replies

argylepete

Help (again)
« on: April 09, 2010, 19:46 »
   hi, I have just purchased 3 19week old hens to go with my 2 remaining ex-batts, they dont seem to be getting on that well, the 2 batts wont let the newbies out of the hen house or when they do they chase them back in. Can any of you clever people advise me as to what to do, an old guy in work mentioned using some perfume but i think he was taking the micheal.
Any help greatfully recieved.
pete 

Elcie

Re: Help (again)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 21:52 »
I recently introduced 4 hens to my existing 7.  2 were ok and 2 didn't want to come out of the hen house and when they did they were bullied.  Each afternoon I gave treats to the 9 happy hens and encouraged the other 2 out of the house whilst I did this to get food/water and maybe some treats.  This has now worked and they are all out most of the time and are aware of the pecking order.  Perhaps this might help for you?  The existing ones get some treats and the new ones get to eat!

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:03 »
Give them time. Make sure that you have places that they can get to outside, I use a couple of buckets on their side so the girls can get into. Have more than one feeding station so they dont fight over food. It will all sort its self out. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 13:24 »
some people when they introduce new hens at night whilst the others are sleeping then spray them all with a perfumed spray or vinegar so that in the morning they are all smelling the same and the older hens don't notice the newer ones strange smell. However I'm not too sure of this method as I think there is more differences to new hens than just the smell  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 15:53 »
what joyfull said, not taking the michael!

when we got our exbatts we had to make a "run-within-a-run" for them with chicken wire: they could see the originals but couldn't touch them (vice versa really).
when we got the newbies (pols), Rita (the remaining exbatt) just kept going for them. couldn't stop, no matter whether they were near her or not.
it just takes time for them to get used to each other.

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 37 queries.