green compost

• 4 Replies

drythropple

green compost
« on: April 08, 2010, 16:24 »
What is making my compost go green? Am I doing something wrong, the compost in my seed trays has gone green on the top, I dont think I have over watered

paintedlady

Re: green compost
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 16:37 »
it sounds like algae - a combination of warmth, moist surface & sunlight.  That often happens to me when I've got stuff in the greenhouse  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 18:12 »
What is making my compost go green? Am I doing something wrong, the compost in my seed trays has gone green on the top, I dont think I have over watered

spray the seedlings with cheshunt compound and use vermiculite to cover them over.
i bet you used water out of a rain butt.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 16:52 »
I cover my seedlings with a thin layer of vermiculite (rather than nothing / seed compost) and I only water with tap water (cleaner than rain water, as blackbob says - once they get bigger I give them rainwater). I soak the seed trays in a Cheshunt Compound solution before sowing, and then cover with a transparent cover (or put a pot in a closed clear plastic bag), and generally I don't have to water them again until they have germinated (at which point open the bag / clear cover for a day or so and then remove it).

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 18:40 »
I think it may be lack of circulating air. You dont say where your seeds are- on a windowsill, in a greenhouse etc, but I would have thought that if you open them during the day on warm days, or put on a cover with vents that open in the day, or put a plastic bag over the top but dont seal it, you will have less problems.

In the end its down to the compost. I'm using Levingtons multipurpose with has added John Innes, and I've had no prob with algae. However some of the specailist seed composts have developed this green on top. Its all a juggle between not drying out too quickly and holding onto the water for too long - but thats what your problem is.
I would recommend opening up the pots and watering with fine rose only when necessary. Should be easier ast this time of year as everything romping away!!

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Help Green Moss on compost?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 20:22
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Green or Brown for Compost?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2017, 21:34
by greenjay
xx
Broad beans for green compost

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 21:55
by banf77

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 36 queries.