Hens have gone quiet-advice/info please

• 4 Replies
Hens have gone quiet-advice/info please
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:11 »
Hi all,
I have 5 ex bats which I got about 7 weeks ago. All in all they are doing great, really flourishing but I noticed this morning that they were not very enthusiastic about their food (although they did eat it all) and they have been really calm when we have been outside to them-they normally run at us over excitedly.
This morning they have all been spending more time perching than normal too-both inside their coop, which they normally only go in at night time and on a big bush outside which they normally pay little or no attention to.
It sounds silly to worry that they look 'too relaxed' but thats the best was I can describe it.
The only other thing that may be worth noting is that they have been off lay for about 5 weeks and we wandered wether their behaviour is a sign of them getting ready to lay again or struggling to lay.
Anyway any ideas, information or advice would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance
Lisa

Elcie

Re: Hens have gone quiet-advice/info please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 18:43 »
Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum.  There is lots of advice on here and I always find it really helpful.  To be honest, I'm not sure what the problem might be with your hens.  Are you sure there is a problem?  Is it just that they have settled in?  Have you tried to pick them up?  Perhaps then you could have a close look at them. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 18:53 »
I know very little about ex-batts but others will be along how know lots.

Hens that are not laying do not need nearly as much food as laying hens do.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 20:24 »
Hi Lisa,

I got some exbatts a couple of months ago.  They started out quite confused with the new space then ran around like mad and then stopped laying and now they have settled down again with eggs most days! 

Sometimes they like to be indoors and sometimes they spend all day outside!!  Some foods they love and some they have turned their noses up at  :lol: :lol: :lol: Just make sure they have plenty of layers mash/pellets around and they will let you know what treats they like :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldnt worry too much its a whole new world for your girls and they will take it all in their stride...in the end ;)

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:22 »
Give them a while i think that they have setteled in and are just taking life a bit easier now and who can blame them after the life that they had untill you came along. :)

xx
what breed hens are quiet?

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 13:20
by trinamc
xx
3 new hens - 1 coughing/sneezing, 1 very quiet, 1 ok!

Started by Chuckling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 19:29
by lisa80
xx
Help Info re Battery Hens

Started by mary on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post September 22, 2007, 20:42
by Ednah
xx
Hamburg Bantam Hens - all info welcome

Started by jimydee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 06:21
by longster

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 36 queries.