Foolproof Fruit Cake Recipe?

• 2 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Foolproof Fruit Cake Recipe?
« on: April 07, 2010, 23:12 »
Has anyone got a foolproof fruitcake recipe I could try?

I'm looking at getting back into cake decorating as a bit of a hobby. I used to do a lot of it when my cousins were young for their birthdays but I mainly decorated the cakes my Aunt made and I've moved 'up North' since then.

I've decorated a few sponge cakes for my daughters but I'd like to be able to do the works with a nice rich fruit cake.

Any ideas?
Many thanks
xx
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Foolproof Fruit Cake Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:09 »
Here is one:-                                  20.5 cm round or 18cm square cake tin

150g butter, (or block margarine...soft one doesn't work as well!)
150g brown or granulated sugar,
250g self raising flour,
pinch salt,
1 teaspn mixed spice
3 eggs,
2 tablespns milk,
1 tablespn golden syrup (or treacle)
500g mixed dried fruit
optional....to make the cake dark add 1 teaspn of gravy browning (colour)

Beat the sugar and butter together. In another bowl sieve flour salt and spice.
Add eggs 1 at a time to fat/sugar bowl, with a little of the flour mix and beat well after each addition.
Stir in the milk and syrup and colouring if using.
Add rest of ingredients and stir well to combine.
Place in lined tin and bake for 1 hour at 180/gas 4 then reduce heat for to 140/gas 1 for a further 2 hours....then test with a skewer.

hamstergbert

Re: Foolproof Fruit Cake Recipe?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 18:26 »
How about this one - uses the boiling method so you don't have to do the whirling dervish with a wooden spoon bit to get the sugar and butter to combine!

140 gm unsalted butter
175 gm muscovado light sugar.
250ml smooth orange juice
200 gm glace cherries
100 gm raisins
60 gm mixed peel
200 gm dried apricots, cut into bits (slice lengthwise then 3 crosscuts = 6 bits)

Slap that lot into a big pan (preferably fairly heavy - I use a jam pan) and gradually bring up to a boil, stirring some of the time with a wooden spoon.  Lower the heat to a low simmer and keep it at that for 10 mins before removing from the heat and let it cool for 15 mins or so.

Stir in 50 gms flaked almonds

Sift together:
300 gm plain flour
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder

Add to the pan (together with 50 gm ground almonds if like me you like 'em)

2 large eggs - beat lightly first then add to pan.

Stir the whole lot together to mix it adequately.
COULD add a tablespoonful of cointreau for a nice orange fragrance, or spaggy brandy, even calvados if you wish.  No more than a tablespoonful though  unless you have started by reducing the volume of orange juice accordingly.

Warm up your oven to about 140 if a fan oven or c160 if not.
Line your cake tin with greased greaseproof, including the base.
Sling the mix into the tin and chuck into the oven (middle if not fan) for an hour and a quarter - then check it with a skewer which should come out clean and the cake should be lightly browned.  If you think it needs a little longer, sling it back in for another 10-15 mins.
Let it sit in the tin to cool for 15 mins then out of the tin, ease the greaseproof off and cool on a rack so air can get under it.  Let it cool completely.

After Palm Sunday you can use this as the base for a wonderful simnel cake - after the mixing put just over HALF the mix in the cake tin then lay a thin disk of marzipan over it before adding the rest of the mix. After baking and cooling, roll out the rest of the marzipan (I usually start with about 250 gm to do both disks plus the balls) big enough to cover the cake and use the trimmings to make 11 marzi balls.  Paint the top of the cake with a dab of apricot jam to stick the marzipan disk on then a dab on each ball to stick 'em in a circle evenly spaced round the edge. Let the apricot jam 'glue' set a bit.  Finishing touch if you want to show off is to dust a bit of icing sugar over the whole thing and then lightly brown under a grill!

Similar idea but with just the middle layer of marzipan and do it in a loaf tin as a non-yeast alternative to stollen come Christmas time.

This is one of the few cake type thingies that I succeed with every single time - and I aint no cook or chef!

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Foolproof chocolate cake

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 21:37
by Brambles
xx
Rubbing In Fruit Cake Recipe, Does anybody have one please?

Started by soaplady on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 20:22
by granjan
xx
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe

Started by Auntiemogs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 18:50
by Auntiemogs
xx
Christmas Cake Recipe

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 20:12
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 29 queries.