Sell by date

• 8 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Sell by date
« on: April 07, 2010, 15:13 »
I found a box of bonemeal in the garage which my father bought.  It has to be at least 8 years old - will it have passed its sell by date or could I still use it.  If so, what vegetables like it and how would I use it, ie spread around base, dig into soil etc.  Also, outside of the veg patch, does anybody know if I could use it on roses?

madcat

Re: Sell by date
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 15:22 »
I inherited stuff (inc rosefeed and growmore, not sure about bone meal) from my ma-in-law of a similar vintage and used it with no ill effects.  I should think it will be fine!  It is a slow release general fertiliser.  It can burn foliage and attract foxes, so put it on the soil just before it rains or rake in the surface or put under mulch.  I use it to give my shrubs and roses a helpful kick at the beginning of the season, with proper rose feed nearer flowering if I remember.

There will be other more authoritative sorts around, but in my easy listening view of the world - thats what I do.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 17:23 »
it should be fine as it is most likely to be mineral based anyway  ;)  I agree that foxes will be attracted to the scent and will dig up plants so always worth raking it into the soil a good couple of weeks or more before planting (I used to add a little to planting holes but I've had to stop doing that due to fox activity  >:().  All plants will benefit - I usually add it to beds where I'll plant hungry feeders such as squash & sweetcorn.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 18:19 »
I found a box of bonemeal in the garage which my father bought.  It has to be at least 8 years old - will it have passed its sell by date or could I still use it.  If so, what vegetables like it and how would I use it, ie spread around base, dig into soil etc.  Also, outside of the veg patch, does anybody know if I could use it on roses?

its not as old as the cow that produced it lol.you'll be fine with it no probs at all,just wash ya hands after handling animal products.bob

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 18:42 »
Thanks very much everyone, I shall try it out but make sure its well raked in, I don't fancy the foxes digging everything up!

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 19:39 »
Just remember bonemeal is NOT a general feed, it is used to encourage root growth in plants. :D

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 23:38 »
'Scuse me for hijacking your thread sandygreen but does anyone know if the same applies to tomato food. I guess it may have got a tad cold in my shed over winter so does it deteriorate?

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 00:06 »
I guess the problem with pre-mixed chemical feeds might be that the different constituent parts may react with each other - so maybe some are fine and do the job as well as they were originally intended while others degenerate especially those in solution / liquid form.

I doubt if they will do any harm though if used as directed  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

madcat

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 13:26 »
Just remember bonemeal is NOT a general feed, it is used to encourage root growth in plants. :D

True to a point - you couldn't use it as the sole feed source for a hydroponic growing system.  It is primarily a source of phosphorus and calcium, with some level of nitrogen, depending on the processing.   "All plants require phosphorus during periods of rapid growth. Most annual plants (plants that grow, reproduce and die in one year) require large amounts of phosphorus as they begin to grow. Plants grown in cold weather which have limited roots and rapid top growth, such as lettuce, are high phosphorus users.  Legumes also require plentiful amounts of phosphorus" (California Fertilizer Assoc.)  Also recommended for roses and bulbs, presumably for much the same reason - lots of top growth with little root base.

Good roots = healthy plants because they can better feed themselves from whatever else nature and the sunshine (please!) can provide.   :D :D

xx
Potatoes past their sell by date?

Started by Debbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 10:47
by Debbie
xx
Can you sell excess seeds

Started by thumper on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:46
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Seeds sell off cheap

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 21:28
by debih
xx
Help...Council want to sell allotment site

Started by susie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 22:36
by pol and mick

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 36 queries.