The things garden centres sell!

• 9 Replies

Elcie

The things garden centres sell!
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:15 »
Now there have been a few times in my gardening life that I have bought some veg plants from the garden centre, either to fill a space or because I didn't want to wait for the seeds to germinate.  But the things they are selling these days to jump on the grow your own bandwagon actually had me laughing out loud yesterday.

1. Radish - I kid you not.  Some were actually almost full size.  Imagine paying £2.99 for a box of radishes and then trying to transplant them so that they grow!
2. There were other, similarly worrying ones like carrots and beetroot, but the biggest laugh came from:
POTATOES!  3 chitted seed potatoes in a small tray with about half an inch of soil in the bottom!  £2.99!

digalotty

Re: The things garden centres sell!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:19 »
would you believe it , i wouldn't mind but this stuff is being bought by adults  ???
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

KingEdward

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:53 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Debz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:52 »
I have bought potatoes growing in a pot at a garden centre because I was visiting and it seemed like a nice alternative idea.  They were in a decent sized pot though.

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 16:25 »
anyone with the slightest bit of gardening sense would not buy these its enough to put peeps of growing befoore they start no wonder  many peeps say i tried growing but it didnt work very well they are doing the wrong thing because they are putting peeps of that would be buying there products later on so they are losing moneys they could get.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 16:32 »
At my local G.C. the Tomato Plants that are in the "under cover" bit (roof only, thus still "outdoors") look unbelievably dishevelled - even though they Fleece them at night.

And then the Chillies etc, which are "indoors", have so little light they look ready to give up the ghost too.

You'd think they would, at least, tool up for the job. They've bought all the plants in, most are going to be chucked, how hard would it be to set up an area where they could actually be nurtured a bit ... or just not bring any in until it is safe for people to grow them on? :(

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 16:33 »
netto tried the potatoes in a tray trick last year, 6 chitted potatoes in a bit compost for 2.99. they were in the ruduced bin a couple of weeks later for 50p  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 16:46 »
IMHO they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for the latest ideas and innovations - pun intended..! Is it me...?????????????   :blush: :nowink: :wacko: :wub: ??? ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 17:13 »
To be fair, it's the same with pretty much any activity or hobby.  If you want to be a writer, you can sign up to all manner of classes, buy an expensive lap-top, posh fountain pen, assorted "how-to" guide books. But actually all you need is a cheap note-pad and a biro to get started.

All power to the garden centres if those expensive grow kits get anyone excited enough about growing stuff to look into it further.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 17:38 »
Its not limited to garden centres either.  Last year a supermarket (every little helps) in Worcester was selling tomato plants suitably shortened in order to fit into the shelving  :lol: and people were buying them too. :mad:

xx
Wyevale garden centres

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 15, 2009, 18:13
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
Any Good Garden Centres near Dartington?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 16:59
by JohnB47
xx
When do Tomato plants start to appear in garden centres?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 01, 2014, 17:17
by madcat
xx
Garden pictures and things --Updated with pics!!

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 19:52
by Big Jen

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.