hen pecking in anger?

• 3 Replies

chookey

hen pecking in anger?
« on: April 05, 2010, 20:05 »
hi
i am new to chicken keeping.  I bought my first two pol warrens on saturday and let them out on the garden today, not sure if i was a little hasty.  Anyway, one is larger than the other and seems more confident in coming up to you.  I picked her up and stroked her and my 5 year old stroked her too, she's really taken to them.  As I put the hen down, my 5 year old went to stroke her again, but the hen launched itself at my 5 year old and just  missed her eye, just made a mark on her cheek.  Think the hen was just saying leave me alone, but its obviously made her very wary.
My 5 year old had been out with them in the morning (just playing out in the garden, not touching the hens) and the same hen kept coming up to her and pecking her coat and following her, which I thought the hen was being friendly.  I'm not sure i can trust it being out on the garden at the same time as my daughter now.  And will it do it again......? 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: hen pecking in anger?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 20:08 »
some of my girls will peck my feet and legs but it is purely to get my attention (the others just run in front of me and trip me up), they don't mean it to be nasty. The trouble is children are smaller than us and so hens will be able to peck higher up. I hope it hasn't put your little one off.
Staffies are softer than you think.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 22:24 »
Oh dear
Maybe best to teach your little to throw the corn as far as she can?  My lots love to scratch around hunting for the corn, and it keeps them out from under my feet, when I am working in there.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 23:25 »
Some hens love eyes, i have one that will peck eyes, teeth , a mole on my neck, oh, and my nose pin! :wacko: She hurts sometimes but she isnt being nasty,its just her way....in the way a baby puts their fingers in your mouth or pokes you in the eye.Hens are very inquisitive, but they use their beak to 'test' things. At 5 your daughter will be able to understand an explanation of why this hen may peck, and teach her strategies to work around it to try and minimise it happening, for example not going ino the grden with food in her hands, not bending down so her face is close to the hens. When you take out treats for then hens, always take them in the same container...that way they learn to reconise the bowl and should pounce on you everytime you go inthe garden(in theory) Hope she dosent become scared, as they really do make fab pets ;)

xx
pecking

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 09:21
by Nicki85
xx
Pecking

Started by robert-h on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 22:59
by robert-h
xx
fly's and pecking

Started by bp53 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 21:49
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Hen mis-pecking

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 08:38
by Sassy

Page created in 1.05 seconds with 37 queries.