carrots and when to plant

• 12 Replies

fastmonkey85

carrots and when to plant
« on: April 05, 2010, 14:31 »
Hi all

I have an organic plot which I am new too. I want to plant some carrots there but it has been too cold I feel so far this year. I heard that if you sow early and sow late you can decrease the chances of them being attacked from carrot root fly. Is this correct?

Also is there anything else I can plant near to them or other means of detering this pest?

Many thanks

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: carrots and when to plant
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 14:43 »
Some people say that onions help to deter the carrot fly, and marrigolds, not sure if they do work but its what ive been told.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 15:53 »
100% carrot-fly proof method - I have tried so many ways incl onions etc planted around with variable and unpredictable success, but this is now my definitive method:

(1) loose cover, with plenty of slack, as soon as sown with fleece and peg around corners and sides - loose to allow for expansion later.

(2) Build a fleece "wall" around carrot bed, about 2 foot high (I use bamboo canes at corners/down sides and poke it through the fleece to secure)

That's it - the few carrot fly that do blow over the "wall" will not get at the carrots.

I do thin when necessary but it is easy to climb over the "wall" and remove the main fleece to do so.

Caused a bit of mirth on my plot by some old boys who felt it was overkill ("oh you don't want to be doing that son") but I had the last laugh when I had perfect carrots and they got the dreaded fly..
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 19:35 »
Plenty of people here who have used a "two foot wall" and still got attacked by fly (they don't fly very high, but wind currents carry them where the wind currents go!)

My suggestion would be to make a "tent" with Enviromesh (which is small enough to stop the fly getting through). Its relatively expensive, but very durable, so will last many seasons. Make sure the "width" of the roll is enough to go across the width of your row / bed, and for the height of the sides (on both sides).

I support mine with hoops made from blue water pipe, but short canes with an old plastic bottle, or ball, on top dotted about would do

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 20:28 »
Plenty of people here who have used a "two foot wall" and still got attacked by fly (they don't fly very high, but wind currents carry them where the wind currents go!)

My suggestion would be to make a "tent" with Enviromesh (which is small enough to stop the fly getting through). Its relatively expensive, but very durable, so will last many seasons. Make sure the "width" of the roll is enough to go across the width of your row / bed, and for the height of the sides (on both sides).

I support mine with hoops made from blue water pipe, but short canes with an old plastic bottle, or ball, on top dotted about would do

I go with the tent too, then use it on later brassicas and use longer canes and ping pong balls

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:37 »
my method above is a combination of BOTH "wall" AND cover the carrots with fleece. Has never failed me yet thankfully.

What's more, I do it that way for the cheapest option given I haven't used the more expensive fleece and the fleece has lasted almost 3 years now, both on garden initally and now on allotment.

But a tent would work too
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:39 by Jonajo »

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:50 »
Early and late planting to avoid carrot fly may have worked at one time but it certainly does not now. From what I can gather carrot fly are on the wing continuously from mid-April until mid-September.

They seem to have got a lot worse in the last few years. Is it the mild Winters? Will we see less this year?

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 16:43 »
I've never had carrot fly (says she) but I am now growing in rectangular containers - as  with my soil type I had very little success with carrots.    This way I get straight carrots and protection too .  " boxes - both coming through now and covered with a nice covering of fleece.

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 14:07 »
If you do try the 'wall' barrier method it is best to slope them inwards so the airflow blows over them more smoothly.  Vertical walls as a windblock tend to have rotor on the lee side, swirling the airflow complete with carrot fly round and down to the soil!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 16:45 »
Another vote for containers here. The height protects from the fly, and riddled soil makes em straight. I think its amazing how big a crop you can get from a fairly small container.

For me its easier than digging a fine enough bed and covering, which is a pain for thinning / weeding / watering.
Liv.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 16:48 »
 What on earth is fleece, apart from a sheeps jumper that is?
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 17:26 »
A thin membrane which you can use to cover crops, or place on the soil to warm it up prior to planting.  Can be bought from oundland (not recommended - by me that is) or wilko's - good value or garden centres - quite expensive

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 18:20 »
Hi all

I have an organic plot which I am new too. I want to plant some carrots there but it has been too cold I feel so far this year. I heard that if you sow early and sow late you can decrease the chances of them being attacked from carrot root fly. Is this correct?

Also is there anything else I can plant near to them or other means of detering this pest?

Many thanks

FLEECE :)

xx
When to plant carrots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 17:42
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
can i still plant carrots now? what kind?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 22:57
by viettaclark
xx
Carrots - too late to plant ?

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 21:04
by love-my-plot
xx
Re-Seed Carrots & Plant Out Onion Seedlings?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 16:20
by Flump

Page created in 0.705 seconds with 30 queries.