seems to me

• 40 Replies

Lardman

Re: seems to me
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 22:19 »
It's just too huge a cultural shift between what my generation see as satisfying and productive and what the young see as something to be fixed with computer models and remote planning.

Im not so sure its a generation thing Ice, I think its more to do with the type of people that are now being attracted to GYO. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I do feel most don't want the hard work or even to get their fingernails dirty.

I was talking to a bloke the other day who has taken on a huge, plot - covered half with plastic and is employing 'a man with a spade' to dig some beds out so he can buy some plug plants from the garden centre.

It just doesn't seem - right.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 22:24 »
It's just too huge a cultural shift between what my generation see as satisfying and productive and what the young see as something to be fixed with computer models and remote planning.

Im not so sure its a generation thing Ice, I think its more to do with the type of people that are now being attracted to GYO. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I do feel most don't want the hard work or even to get their fingernails dirty.

I was talking to a bloke the other day who has taken on a huge, plot - covered half with plastic and is employing 'a man with a spade' to dig some beds out so he can buy some plug plants from the garden centre.

It just doesn't seem - right.
I think you just proved my point. :dry:
Cheese makes everything better.

Lardman

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 22:30 »
Hes in his 60's  ::)

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 22:46 »
Hes in his 60's  ::)

My mum is 59 and nothing gives her more a sense of a job well done than a spot of double digging.

The plug thing though....why the hell would you pay for the same for a plug as you would for a hundred seeds? This is lunacy! Time for a challenge...one person orders ten plugs of say carrots, another plants carrot seed to the value of that and when they crop at the same time then the value is clear.

Perhaps we should be selling plugs

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 23:01 »
Cookery programmes, competitions and TV chef recipe books abound, and yet it also seems to be a badge of honour amongst the "money rich but time poor" to almost boast about their "can't cook, won't cook" credentials. Presumably such people can talk a good recipe but mostly eat out rather than go to the trouble of actually trying them!

Growing your own is apparently the latest "new thing"; again I suspect that the same sort of people will only be really interested if you can "do it" by throwing money at it and not actually having to waste time learning about it or (perish the thought) getting your hands dirty!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 23:13 »
Well said Jay.

Such a shame that such people miss out. I always remember spending a day potting on and looking at this regiment of leaves that I created and suddenly realising I was a gardener, not a potter of plants, but an actual gardener who could grow and take cuttings and create rather than just plant.

andy135

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 23:30 »
I was having a chat the other day with the person who I share a plot with, and when I explained that I had all my seeds ready to sow in newspaper tubes, his response was, "You dont need to do all that, just rotivate it and wait for bbq to get the plants in".

I'm sorry, but that isn't why I'm doing this. I'm doing it because I want to create something.
It's not a jigsaw that you can buy in a box and assemble.

And some people pay for gym membership!  :lol:

Salmo

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 08:29 »
What a lot of self congratulatory, more holy than thou old humbug this has brought to the surface.

Each to one own.

Slowgrind

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 08:50 »
The best way to learn some things is by making mistakes!
Once you've tipped out the same seed tray because it's been too cold to germinate You'll begin to get the message.
My Grandad and dad just sowed stuff by watching the growth of other stuff in the garden.
They had people who must have taught them that.
It's good that so many on here can pass on words of wisdom, but who'se really listening?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59 »
it would help if the seed pkts didn't recommend such early sowing............but then again some folks don't seem to pay much notice to them.

But, we all learn the hard way in life..............been there done that :D

and as Salmo said...each to their own 8)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 09:37 »
Don't like to dampen enthusiasm of new gardeners, we all learn by our mistakes. My 50yo sister is new to growing veg and a very keen cook, but very impatient. She has sown dwarf and runner beans into her new raised bed, and sweetcorn. It says on the packet you can sow them now, she says.  Never mind I said, there is plenty of time to try again. she lives in the Lake District! ::) :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 21:58 »
Got chatting to one of the 'old guys' down at the plot today (just popped by to drop off some slabs)

He has planted nothing yet because the soil has been so wet and claggy and is not in the slightest bit concerned  :D :D :D

Impressed I have some  turnips up though  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

katholicos

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 22:57 »
I think it is important to appreciate that not all would be gardeners are able bodied enough to double dig etc. All well and good if you can do it, but if you can't because of health problems or because you don't have the time to do that (or even the inclination), then does it really matter? 

It might raise a derisery sneer from the 'experienced' gardener, but didn't they themselves have to start somewhere too? (and remember not all of us have friends and family members who are gardeners, so have to live and learn without the benefit of a wealth of advice from those who are more knowledgeable ).

Surely it is a good thing when anyone begins to take an interest in growing their own food. Hopefully an enjoyment of growing fruit and veg will ensue and over time confidence will build and then perhaps some of the 'old/traditional' ways will be incorporated into their growing endeavours.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 23:07 »
Why don't you introduce yourself in the "welcome" forum katholikos. :)

katholicos

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 23:22 »
Why don't you introduce yourself in the "welcome" forum katholikos. :)

Good idea, Ice.

I've just written my newbie post.

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 38 queries.