seems to me

• 40 Replies

blackbob

• Experienced Member
seems to me
« on: April 04, 2010, 20:50 »
that lots of people are just obsessed with sowing as soon as possible.they wont get a beter crop than anyone that sows later in our fickle climate.
lots of people i know have givin up gardening due to poor crops.if only they had listened to the elder members they may have had a bit more success.
seems like a lot of newbies want instant results yesterday.please themselves as far as i'm concerned,this game dont work that way.

tontom

• Experienced Member
Re: seems to me
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 20:57 »
I'll sow another lot in a few weeks time to lengthen the growing season

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 21:00 »
that lots of people are just obsessed with sowing as soon as possible.they wont get a beter crop than anyone that sows later in our fickle climate.
lots of people i know have givin up gardening due to poor crops.if only they had listened to the elder members they may have had a bit more success.
seems like a lot of newbies want instant results yesterday.please themselves as far as i'm concerned,this game dont work that way.

Ditto, DD. and I say the same each year, why rush things
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ROYAL=BD=

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 21:06 »
VERY true blackbob :(
i am a newbe ( 2-3 years).I was obsessed with sowing as soon as possible this year, i even grew sweetcorn in feb  ??? & and now they are only fit for the compost bin.
We all live and learn.
But thanks to this great web site and the people on it My giant onions are looking very good, which i started mid november and will sow some more sweetcorn soon.
ROYAL  ;) 

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 21:15 »
It's an excitement thing...the minute I see the first growth on the lilacs I have to grow something...anything!

I have stuck with the greenhouse babies though and actually sowed a few things quite late (Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia is a march experiment doing well) Cloches mean that the early pea is doing well.

Sucession sowing ensures lack of disappointment I always think....unfortunately it often means a lack of space and the kids and dog lose a little more lawn...again.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 21:26 »
It's an excitement thing...the minute I see the first growth on the lilacs I have to grow something...anything!

I have stuck with the greenhouse babies though and actually sowed a few things quite late (Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia is a march experiment doing well) Cloches mean that the early pea is doing well.

Sucession sowing ensures lack of disappointment I always think....unfortunately it often means a lack of space and the kids and dog lose a little more lawn...again.

i know it is lol.but common sense has to kick in.
grow some cress for a few weeks lol.the price of F1 seeds has hit the roof,so caution is needed.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 21:35 »
Been there, done that and sown crazily early only to lose most of it. ::)  I've recently moved home and the garden is weeks away from completion and I've sowed nothing.  Am I panicking?  No.

Most things sown in the cold weather get caught up by those sown in the more warm weather.  At least my tomatoes did last year.  My overwinter early carrots did ok, but my spring sown ones soon caught them up.

That's what I love about growing veg, it's a constant learning curve with no hard and fast rules.  :)

Cheese makes everything better.

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 21:36 »
F1 and it is charts, barometers, and singing them to sleep while maintaining optimum temperature and offering them the best seat and timeslot I have - the rest take their chances.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 21:38 »
Been there, done that and sown crazily early only to lose most of it. ::)  I've recently moved home and the garden is weeks away from completion and I've sowed nothing.  Am I panicking?  No.

Most things sown in the cold weather get caught up by those sown in the more warm weather.  At least my tomatoes did last year.  My overwinter early carrots did ok, but my spring sown ones soon caught them up.

That's what I love about growing veg, it's a constant learning curve with no hard and fast rules.  :)

spot on.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 21:45 »
I wonder how much is to do with the excitement of a new hobby and how much is to do with people just having too much free time.

You can see the trend on here - people get a 1/2 plot, cover it with weed killer, divide it up with black plastic and want to plant instantly. Gone are the months and months of soil preparation, double digging and weeding that used to be done.

Its almost as bad buying/hiring in a rotavator, and turning all the soil over in an afternoon, although I can understand if you have a huge area, but how many actually do? My small patch here will take me 4 days to double dig and weed properly. Theres no point in sowing anything until the ground is ready for it.  And there should be no time to sow as the ground should be being prepared.

Luddite - me ? Never ...

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 21:49 »
Been there, done that and sown crazily early only to lose most of it. ::)  I've recently moved home and the garden is weeks away from completion and I've sowed nothing.  Am I panicking?  No.

Most things sown in the cold weather get caught up by those sown in the more warm weather.  At least my tomatoes did last year.  My overwinter early carrots did ok, but my spring sown ones soon caught them up.

That's what I love about growing veg, it's a constant learning curve with no hard and fast rules.  :)

spot on.

i agree,tv instant gardens are to blame imo.newcommers seem to want it perfect right away.
all the seasoned grower can do is slow them down a wee bit.
work with the weather conditions and nature,not against them.bob

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 21:54 »
You're no Luddite Lardman.  Sadly, society these days tries to convince us there are instant fixes for almost everything.  It's just too huge a cultural shift between what my generation see as satisfying and productive and what the young see as something to be fixed with computer models and remote planning.

To them a Blackberry is something to access more and more useless information.  Whereas to us, a blackberry is a rather nice, free to gather, ingredient of a crumble. :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 21:55 »
Common sense is needed and sometimes seeme in short supply, when seed packets are in folks' hands   ??? ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 21:56 »
I wonder how much is to do with the excitement of a new hobby and how much is to do with people just having too much free time.

You can see the trend on here - people get a 1/2 plot, cover it with weed killer, divide it up with black plastic and want to plant instantly. Gone are the months and months of soil preparation, double digging and weeding that used to be done.

Its almost as bad buying/hiring in a rotavator, and turning all the soil over in an afternoon, although I can understand if you have a huge area, but how many actually do? My small patch here will take me 4 days to double dig and weed properly. Theres no point in sowing anything until the ground is ready for it.  And there should be no time to sow as the ground should be being prepared.

Luddite - me ? Never ...

In fairness people soon learned the perils of the rotavator after their first successfull crop of....mares tail

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 21:57 »
You're no Luddite Lardman.  Sadly, society these days tries to convince us there are instant fixes for almost everything.  It's just too huge a cultural shift between what my generation see as satisfying and productive and what the young see as something to be fixed with computer models and remote planning.

To them a Blackberry is something to access more and more useless information.  Whereas to us, a blackberry is a rather nice, free to gather, ingredient of a crumble. :)

or an alcoholic drink lol.

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 36 queries.