Tomatoes drooping a bit????

• 17 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes drooping a bit????
« on: April 02, 2010, 18:22 »
My potted on tomatoes were watered the other night, i'd let them dry out and then i watered from the bottom with tepid water. I then let the pots 'wick' the water up until the compost was damp at the top of the pot. I then removed from the water and have let them drain ever since. i noticed last night that they are almost drooping a bit, mainly the Harbingers but also one or two of the Sungold F1's are as well. See what you think....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48369322@N02/4484063711/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48369322@N02/4484715786/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I'm worried now they are too wet and have soaking feet......  :(  :(

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Tomatoes drooping a bit????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 18:25 »
where are they? Have they got cold at all, eg overnight? It's unlikely they are too wet I would have thought, maybe it's just the shock of being potted on, or perhaps it was from when they got a bit dry. How long have they been like it?
Rachael

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 18:32 »
where are they? Have they got cold at all, eg overnight? It's unlikely they are too wet I would have thought, maybe it's just the shock of being potted on, or perhaps it was from when they got a bit dry. How long have they been like it?
They are in our bedroom in front of a 3m wide window. The temperature has dropped inside a few degrees i guess with the last couple of days poor weather but probabaly not below 16°c. They were watered tuesday and i noticed the dropping a bit last night... Do they look otherwise healthy?? Thanks for the reply BTW....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 18:43 »
they look ok to me  :blink:

FERDY

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 18:44 »
A combination of under watering, potting on and this final cold snap, it has affected lots of my seedlings.
They'll bounce back though.
Correctio, Accommodo, Maturus.

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 18:52 »
Tomatoes often go a bit droopy after potting on; scares me every year, but they do pick up after a day or two. 

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 19:59 »
My potted on tomatoes were watered the other night, i'd let them dry out and then i watered from the bottom with tepid water. I then let the pots 'wick' the water up until the compost was damp at the top of the pot. I then removed from the water and have let them drain ever since. i noticed last night that they are almost drooping a bit, mainly the Harbingers but also one or two of the Sungold F1's are as well. See what you think....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48369322@N02/4484063711/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48369322@N02/4484715786/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I'm worried now they are too wet and have soaking feet......  :(  :(

nothing wrong with them,i suspect they have just had a dose of bright sunlight which has turned them limp.when potting on seedlings full sun is a bad plan,give them a bit shade so as to slow photosynthesis a bit.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 20:05 »
Mine did the same, i think it was a temperature thing as it coincided with a couple of hard frosts. It just got a bit cooler than they like inside the window.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 20:26 »
Mine did the same, i think it was a temperature thing as it coincided with a couple of hard frosts. It just got a bit cooler than they like inside the window.

frost will blacken the leaf tips if not all the leaf.thing with seedlings is they need time to recover from transplanting shock.first thing they do is begin rapid root hair growth to compensate.
if you have them in direct sunshine at the same time.you are then asking the seedling to also accomodate photosynthesis,far to much to ask of a young plant.
prick them out and put them somwhere warm and shady until they manage root regrowth.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 22:01 »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. i'm going to keep the sun off them for a day or so and see what happens by Monday morning....  :lol:

UrbanG

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:42 »
I am a novice when it comes to growing tom's, But what I can say is that after re-potting my batch they drooped and looked exactly the same as yours.

After a few days they perked up and are now going strong again. I would'nt worry to much, they will soon spring back to life.
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

lacewing

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 08:38 »
I keep my tomatoes on the dry side until the final planting, stops them getting leggy leggy and encourage a good root system. Compost should be just moist to the touch, not wet!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53 »

frost will blacken the leaf tips if not all the leaf.thing with seedlings is they need time to recover from transplanting shock.first thing they do is begin rapid root hair growth to compensate.
if you have them in direct sunshine at the same time.you are then asking the seedling to also accomodate photosynthesis,far to much to ask of a young plant.
prick them out and put them somwhere warm and shady until they manage root regrowth.

Tomatoes can be chilled at temperatures 0-5C causing them to wilt without blackening the leaves.
 Plants will grow new hair roots faster if they can photosynthesize, it is where the growing energy comes from.
Most tom seedlings wilt after transplanting but recover within 24 hrs, normally much sooner, these ones wilted again overnight a day later but perked up during the day and are fine now in full sun as usual.

If you have UPVC glazing make sure you close the trickle vents, something i forgot to do this time.

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 22:25 »
I repotted all my chilli and tomato seedlings today outside in a biting wind. My hands were blue! As I was doing it I thought I might be taking a risk....taking nice warm seedlings in warm compost, baring their roots to the cold and bunging them in cold compost!
Sure enough, they wilted a bit...but tonight they're picking up again on the window sills.
Can't keep a good tomato down! They're tough little so-and-sos!
Did anyone see Toby stroking his seedlings on G's World? Mine had the real wind!!!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 23:17 »

Tomatoes can be chilled at temperatures 0-5C causing them to wilt without blackening the leaves.
 Plants will grow new hair roots faster if they can photosynthesize, it is where the growing energy comes from.
Most tom seedlings wilt after transplanting but recover within 24 hrs, normally much sooner, these ones wilted again overnight a day later but perked up during the day and are fine now in full sun as usual.

If you have UPVC glazing make sure you close the trickle vents, something i forgot to do this time.

Plants will grow new hair roots faster if they can photosynthesize

not wanting to preach but no they wont. transplanted seedlings should always be placed in a low light enviroment to allow the reformation of root structure.
by placing them in bright lux you are speeding up the process of water loss through the leaf.

xx
drooping onions

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 22:40
by Trillium
xx
drooping onion leaves

Started by Veggie Virgin on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 10:48
by JayG
clip
My Roma tomato plant leaves are drooping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 09:34
by meriad
xx
tomatoes

Started by juikelin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 17:43
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.857 seconds with 38 queries.