Inverters ??

• 22 Replies

Snoop

Re: Inverters ??
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 16:43 »
I was kinda thinking that a lot of people drive to allotments (I do) and the inverters can be plugged into the car cigarette lighter socket so you don't need another battery, start engine of car, so the the alternator does all the work. ( and the car will start when you want to go home..... ;))

That makes sense. It didn't occur to me because I've not seen allotments where you could actually drive onto the site and keep your car under supervision.

Slowgrind

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 17:09 »
Ebay have some great used generators. Some with battery charging outlets.
Have a browse.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 18:35 »
just spent the afternoon playing with small genys and inverters getting the caravan ready for next weekend. 2X 60w bulbs and the current at 12v was 12amps!!!. Before pluging one  into the cigar lighter I would check that the wiring is up to it. I made up some leads from old jump leads and within a few minuites I could barely touch them they were so hot.
My biggest inverter is 3000w and when i tryed to boil the kettle (500w camping kettle)
it fried the battery before I had a cup of tea :blink: :ohmy:.
While having a cold drink I did more reading on the subject.
always have a target
and an objective.

digalotty

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 22:54 »
just to help you guys out, when buying a battery drill you should pay attention to the amp of the batterys more than the voltage of the drill ,   for excample an 18 volt drill may still have a 1.3amp battery you can buy the same drill with 2.0amp batterys and it has the same power but will run longer. i personally will not buy a drill with less than 2.0amp battery power as they drop off much quicker .
i am a carpenter and my panasonic has 3x3.5amp batterys and one will last all day .
and cheap drill dont have quality batterys
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Goldfinger

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 20:39 »
I was kinda thinking that a lot of people drive to allotments (I do) and the inverters can be plugged into the car cigarette lighter socket so you don't need another battery, start engine of car, so the the alternator does all the work. ( and the car will start when you want to go home..... ;))

Whoops....  :blink: :blink:

Forgot to mention that I can get my car right next to my plot, that's why was thinking inverter and not a geny. Just saw on argo's web that they did a 400w inverter for £13.99!  :ohmy: that's cheaper than the 200w one at £39.99   :blink:. Currently out of stock..........wonder why......

Gwiz

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 05:25 »
some-one made a boo-boo with the decimal point. ::)
betcha they don't get any more in stock all season...... ;)

Goldfinger

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 18:50 »
Not sure it's a boo-boo with the decimal point. It says 'less than half price!!!!', supposed to be £29.99.

More like TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!  >:( >:(

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 11:35 »
just a tip for anyone with cordless batteries which no longer hold charge. It is often possible to change the cells within the battery relatively cheaply.

If you can dismantle the faulty battery, inside you will normally find a sealed lead acid or gell cell battery. Shops like Maplin often sell direct replacements. I have changed a couple of my Dewalt 18v 2.4ah cells for less than £50 and now they are as good as new.

If you can't dismantle your battery, or you cannot find a direct replacement cell, toolnation often have genuine batteries at well below MRP.

Make sure if you do replace the cell it is a direct replacement in terms of type, voltage and size.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 37 queries.