Could Rusty have kidney failure?

• 12 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Could Rusty have kidney failure?
« on: March 31, 2010, 21:39 »
Hi, just wanted to see if anyone had any more ideas about Rusty, one of my latest ex-bat girls. I posted a topic that she had very runny poo, truth be told it's more watery/white than anything with a small amount of loose poo. She's not eating a tremendous amount but seems to be constantly drinking from any puddle or rain filled container she happens to spy. Ironically she's my healthiest looking girl, upright red comb, alert looking, tail high, a lovely dark rusty red with a speckled collar. I gave her some pro-bio yogurt as suggested but still she's very wet, vent clean due to the force with which the liquid comes out, always a large quantity.

Maybe dizzielizzie could come in here as you told me the other day, when I posted about Spike, that you also have ex-bats and mentioned about your poorly girls. I would appreciate it if you could share how you find it best to treat it, if you think it is kidney failure. A lady down the road said I should just tap her on the head as she's no good especially as she's not laying, but I told her that's not why I have ex-bats, I want to make up as much as possible for the so-called life she had before being rescued...

Thanks in anticipation - Anne

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Could Rusty have kidney failure?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 21:43 »
What has she been eating recently ?

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 21:50 »
She's on ex-bats pellets, they all have a bit of porridge with mealworms in the morning, mixed corn in the afternoon & boiled up veggie scraps, either the porridge or the veg have a teaspoon of poultry spice mixed in (between 8 birds) and also baked & crushed eggshell as none of my girls like oyster shell (although any tips on how to grind it small would be useful, I've tried pestle & mortar!). Oh, & she is also free ranging so any odd worms, grubs, spiders & slow flies that take her fancy!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 22:13 »
Sounds as though their diet is a bit rich and varied compared to what they are used to. 

Is it only one girl who has the tummy problem ?

I've noticed one of my hens passes a lot of water when she's had too much cabbage or lettuce.  I cut all veg out for a few days and she eats pellets and grass and is fine again.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 22:34 »
Yes, Rusty's the only one and I think she's been like it from day 1. She's adopted a corner in the newbies accomodation (they're not yet roosting all together as I wanted to introduce them gradually, let them get their fisticuffs over with before settling in together) and the bedding is wet there every morning. She's not as keen as some of the others on the veggies, so I'm not sure if that's the answer. I know that when one of my cats was constantly drinking it was diagnosed as a kidney problem, so I put 2 & 2 together when dizzielizzie mentioned she had a chicken with the same problem.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 22:51 »
I agree with AS...you give them lots of different stuff. I would cut back and give them the ex-batts pellets adlib, obviously oyster shell and grit and lots of fresh clean water . Mine have a little mixed corn at t-time, and as we have no grass left some curly kale or similar a few times a week. Its very tempting to give them lots of treats and goodies, especially when they first 'come out' because you feel so sorry for them and they need to build up their strength. You really wouldnt believe what i used to give them....it makes me shudder to think about it now. believe me, just because they go mad for it, dosent mean they should eat it.I use a few meal worms when trying to tame newbies or during a moult, but thats it. diet affects them dramatically!You really are doing them a huge favour by NOT giving them lots of things. The ex-batts pellets have everything they need in them. They free range so they get greens from plants and grass, and protiens from bugs and worms. Remember, slugs and snails can carry the gape worm parasite so you need to be vigilant with an effective worming program like flubenvet.
My girl has been diagnosed by a vet after lots of test then finally a poop sample was sent away. I havent been offered anything for her, so she just potters around quite happy for now. if she starts to show symptoms that she is suffering we will have her PTS :(. I would be taking AS advice and looking at their diet first ;)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:29 »
Thanks dl, lots of sound advice there for me to be going on with.
I watched Rusty closely this morning when I let the girls out and noticed that, despite what I offer them, it's not necessarily what she has! First she walked staunchly past the pellets, then past the porridge (I hadn't read your reply at that time...), ate a few blades of grass then straight to the pond for a drink. Then she was away across the garden, time for morning poo - about 1/4pt of gushing liquid, yeuch - a few more blades of grass then a LONG drink from a bucket full of rainwater, another smaller poo with a small amount of solids and then back to pecking up whatever she could find. Well, she seems happy enough but I'll keep an eye on her while I'm off work with an injured wing...
Btw, Spike is looking a little down this morning, also watching her like a hawk!
Nearly forgot, Rusty is a huge fan of forsythia flowers, the only one I've seen eating them.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:39 by Catsmuvva »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49 »
As far as I am aware it is not poisoness to humans or dogs and can find no mention of it being so with chickens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:18 »
Ah...  do you let them free range as soon as you let them out in the morning ?

It is a very good idea to keep them in their run with ONLY pellets and water  for 2-3 hours first thing in the morning.  They will be hungry and have no choice but to eat pellets.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33 »
Aha! Yes, I'd got into the habit of letting them free range straight away as, when I'm working, I have to shut them in their run before I start work early-mid afternoon. The new girls haven't been closed in at all apart from their first 2-3 days, then I round them up for bed as the light starts to fade.
Right, from tomorrow they all stay in for the first couple of hours - maybe then they'll all get the proper dose of Flubenvet as well!
I've previously been advised to put Herban in their water but they're not keen on drinking it when there's fresh about. Do you suggest I keep adding it to the water or give them fresh? Our tap water is borehole so nothing hinky about that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:37 »
If you are adding flubenvet to their pellets they must eat ONLY the pellets for a week.  If they eat other things then its bes to give them each a does on a treat like a half grape each day.  See the information about worms in the poyltry information section.

I find AviproPlus is extyremely good for chooks tummy problems.  Give the runny girl a dose of that each day.  One pinch on a treat or in a small quantity of water put into her beak.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:29 »
I picked up a pot of Avipro Plus from the vets yesterday and have been told to give it to her as per stressed bird dosage, following instructions on the pot. However it doesn't say how much a day I should give so I made up 100ml which she drank about 1/2 of - the other 1/2 she spilled! She drank what she had like it was going out of fashion.

Of course the vets are closed today so what I need to know is how much should I give her a day?  I was pleasantly surprised she drank it out of a small bowl I was holding, surprised because she won't yet eat out of my hand...

I also gave some to Spike who was a bit down yesterday, and has recently been on anti-b's so I thought it would be good for her.

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 21:18 »
Ah...  do you let them free range as soon as you let them out in the morning ?

It is a very good idea to keep them in their run with ONLY pellets and water  for 2-3 hours first thing in the morning.  They will be hungry and have no choice but to eat pellets.

I let mine out as soon as I get up but reading the above I will keep them in their run until I leave for work at least that way I way I will know they first fill up on pellets.  It will be only be for 1 hour but at least that will be better than now.

xx
Rusty's waterworks

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 15:35
by Catsmuvva
xx
Kidney problems?

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 19:06
by Jomtie
xx
Kidney problem?

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 07:46
by sneezer
xx
Excess calcium and kidney damage

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 11:48
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 31 queries.