my chucks are going downhill fast!

• 7 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
my chucks are going downhill fast!
« on: March 31, 2010, 18:01 »
Hi all,
My chicken,Gertie, has been sneezing for just over a week but is eating and well otherwise.Yesterday,Freda started sneezing but also gasping/breathing with her beak open.Today,Hazel has started the gasping thing and sneezing.They have been wormed and I started them on antibiotics today but does anyone have any idea what it might be?there is no discharge from their noses.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: my chucks are going downhill fast!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 23:16 »
have you taken them to the vets?
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:57 »
Hi, im sorry but if you have had illness in your flock for over a week then you are lucky you only have 2 sick chucks. You need to get one to the vets and get something to treat them all before its too late.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:06 »
Flump, you need to say more. Did the vet prescribe the antibiotics? If yes then s/he should have given a diagnosis; if not what are you giving them and where did you get it?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:22 »
If you have your own antibiotics (i.e. not from a vets but either bought on line from abroad or even some old stuff from the vets) then is it in date, is it the correct antibiotic for whatever illness your chicks may have and are you giving the correct dosage for said illness? Also is the antibiotic ingrediants genuine?
How old are your hens? How long have you had them? Have you introduced new stock and not quarrenteened them? You have not given us much information to go on so really do suggest you visit a vets with one of the chickens to get a proper diagnosis and treatment for them before they all go downhill very quickly.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 14:45 »
Hi,I took Freda about a week ago.She was okay apart from breathing with her beak open when I picked her up ,which I knew wasn't right for her.Vet checked her over and everything was fine,chest etc and suggested worming the lot which I did.Then she started the sneezing and looking worse,contacted the vets but the one who saw her was off for a week,typical !how dare they have a holiday? :tongue2: but he had written to try antibiotics if no improvement,so I injected her with Tylan yesterday,then went back and got some more as the others started looking poorly.Will give another dose tomorrow.They are ex-batts about 2yrs old now,I guess.They wonder round my garden and they do have contact with pheasants etc as we have a field at the back.Today,Freda seems to have improved a bit,Hazel looks sorry for herself so brought her inside until it warmed up a bit.Martha looks sorry for herself and Gertie,who first started sneezing seems the best!I've had them for about 9mths.

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 15:36 »
Hi, it looks as though the treatment is working if the first to suffer is now feeling fine. All you can do is keep it up and see that they have a good diet. Might be a good idea to change their bedding (if they have any) and the nest box material. Will keep everything crossed for you. Best of luck.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 16:24 »
aw,thank you.

exclamation
Hen going downhill. Please Help!!!!!! (Photos now added)

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 16:07
by NormandyMary
xx
hen put weight on fast

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 21:04
by Foxy
xx
R-COM 20 PRO HELP NEEDED FAST

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 17:37
by naturesparadise
xx
Need hens fast!

Started by Tulip on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 11:34
by Tulip

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 37 queries.