Good life gone sour

• 4 Replies

scrappydoo

Good life gone sour
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:46 »
 :)Hi All
       I've not been on for a while, as an awful lot going on at home one way or another :(. Had my initial girls for nine months ailthough as some of you may remember I did lose one last september time, but apart from that I increased my flock up to 12, with a 2m2 coop and a large wire enclosed run everything was good (apart from a small amount of feather pecking >:( ) up till about a 2 months ago when feather pecking started and got worse over the weeks spray hasn't worked :mad: , I've put beak bits on a couple (ordered 10 more yesterday). Friday I went down to put the girls away and one poor girl was dead in the run :ohmy:, no blood, upsetting but hey ho I'm new'ish to this and this must happen me thinks :( . Sunday morning I went to let the girls out and one of them is bleeding and looks a mess at the rear end :( . That morning I spent four hours building a large extension and a new coop  for her :) . Yesterday she afternoon she had an egg (in what I asume is a prolapsed womb?) hanging out of her :tongue2:, with savlon cream I managed to extract the egg and push the 'sack' back inside :tongue2: . By bed time she had forced her way through the wire  :mad: and got back in with the other chucks & roosting in the coop with them, but blood dripping from her rear :(  where the others had been attacking her :mad:.
I put her in her own coop and this morning when I let her out she seemed ok, but.........???!!!!! Is this welcome to the real world & the good life is over?  :( :( :( :(
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Good life gone sour
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:06 »
Oh Scrappy, I am so sorry your girls are still giving you grief!  Brown girls too weren't they?  We usually get more probs from the amberlinks!

That spray worked on our few peckers and even the odd turkey!

I just don't know what to say.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:07 »
you must disguise any sign of redness and blood, the others will peck her to death if you don't. Chickens are nasty to any that are weaker. I would keep her seperate from the others but in full view - just make sure she cannot get to them. Check to see if she has a temperature (feel under her wing and compare to one of the others) and just to be on the safe side if she was mine I would get her to a vet just in case she needs metacam (anti inflammitory) and antibiotics to stop any infection. Had the egg broken either before you pulled it out or during? Bit concerned though as to why the other one had died as I know these aren't old birds. Do they have enough to keep them occupied in their run? perches, sand bath, hanging cabbage, cd's, nooks and crannies to hide in several feeders and drinkers etc?
Staffies are softer than you think.

scrappydoo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24 »
 :) Hi Ann/Joyfull
                   Thanks for replying, Hi Ann I had Goldlines & Amberlinks initially off yourself, and have beak bits on both at one time or another.
  Hi Joyfull Do they have enough to keep them occupied in their run? 1 branch in run, dry soil dust bath, hanging cabbage, 2 x cd's, 2 large heavy granite stones to hide behind 2 x  feeders, 1 large diameter drinkers etc. If the poorly one survives the two runs will be combined and be 10m x 2m approx. They have a constant supply of Layers pellets, fresh water as a treat either mixed corn or mash............ In short (as long as my wife doesn't see this :mad: ) they probaly live better and have more two do than I do :lol:
  I would guess there are only ex bats that look worse than some of mine :ohmy: , and I'm beginning to worry people will think I'm miss treating them! :( :( :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:00 »
The combined run of 10 meters by 2 meters would be big enough for 10 birds (the minimum recommended size is 1 sq meter per bird but we recommend at least 2 square meters) - the larger the run the less chance of boredom. It sounds like you have plenty of activities in there. I still would still take the injured one to the vets and if possible try to keep her in the dark and quiet to help stop her laying because if it was a prolapse it may happen again and that's not too good  :(.

xx
libby chick not too good?sour crop/been sick.

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 01:40
by wildwitchy
xx
Chicken run going 'sour'?

Started by Emsdad on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2007, 08:12
by DD.
xx
sour crop? help

Started by simsima on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 22:52
by compostqueen
xx
Sour crop

Started by Kathyk on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 15:29
by Kathyk

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 37 queries.