cucumbers?

• 19 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
cucumbers?
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:27 »
hi everyone,i,m a bit worried about mi cues!i planted them in pots with polythene bags over them about three weeks ago and they still havent shown.i know they need to be quite warm but there just on the window sill  in the kitchen so its a bit chilly at night.should i start some more  or do you think these will make it? i havent got an airing cupboard or a heated propagator.the compost is still damp .how long is it before seeds start to rot? :(

m1ckz

Re: cucumbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:41 »
mine where 2 weeks,,now 3 weeks an there 4 inchs,,,hmmmm

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:39 »
Mine are shooting off.  They were also on the windowsill (not covered though), but there was a radiator against that wall under the windowsill, so the chill may be affecting them?
Babs

Lee1978

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:46 »
hi everyone,i,m a bit worried about mi cues!i planted them in pots with polythene bags over them about three weeks ago and they still havent shown.i know they need to be quite warm but there just on the window sill  in the kitchen so its a bit chilly at night.should i start some more  or do you think these will make it? i havent got an airing cupboard or a heated propagator.the compost is still damp .how long is it before seeds start to rot? :(

The variation in temperature probably is'nt helping as they need a constant temperature of between 18-25 degrees. i would try sowing more and if your first batch do germinate you could always give them away ;)
Lee

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:03 »
i think they could have rotted if your compost is still damp i would plant some more in drier compost most seeds dont need watering they usually find enough damness in compost unless compost is very dry .wet compost makes it very cold for them to germinate good luck

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34 »
Mine popped up in about 5 days. I would put them in the warmest room you do have then move them to the window sill as soon as they show signs of germinating.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 13:09 »
thanks for the advice guys,it was very helpful.dryer compost warmer room!here we go.just need to hide them from the missus. ;)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 13:55 »
I sowed 2 seeds in a pot they came up grew to about an inch tall then flopped over and died ??? any ideas why
I came I saw I grew my own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 14:09 »
cucumbers are just plain awkward..there's a saying about them looking each day, for a way to die! I can believe it :(

It could be uneven temperatures, too hot, too cold. In a draught, direct sunlight, compost too wet, compost too dry ::) It's often because the stem gets too wet and rots away, so try watering only from the bottom when they need it.

At the moment, IMO it is still too early anyway, unless you have a heated greenhouse/conservatory to put them in.

Good luck with the next lot :)

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 14:21 »
I've got my Marketmore and Burpless, but when I ordered all my seeds at T&m they gave me F1 Carmen free of charge.

It's germinated just fine (only four seeds in the packet), but I was wondering whether anyone has tried this variety before and how was the taste.

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 15:15 »
just sown some cucumber seeds in 3 inch pots and put them in the propagator ,this year i'm trying telegraph and a mini one called Socrates.Last year i had great success with Telegraph and a shorter , fatter one but the name escapes , we must 've had 50 or more fruit off just 4 plants and obviously we gave most of it away which must 've pleased a lot of people.Lets hope this year is just as productive !

peterjf

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 15:20 »
cucumber wake up every morning and think of ways to die,

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 15:23 »
i,m growing socrates too and another f1 called "superbell",if i can get them to germinate!  :(

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 15:33 »
Got some Socrates seed today , wilkinsons are doing 2 pkts of johnsons seeds for £3 which takes a bit of the sting out of the more expensive veg seeds.

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 15:38 »
Brassica Blaz - Let me know how your socrates get on as in germination etc, have you started yours off yet and if so are they in a propagator or ?

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
cucumbers

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2015, 09:24
by crh75
xx
cucumbers

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by Lionel
xx
cucumbers

Started by broken glass on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 17:32
by Trillium

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 39 queries.