growing ginger

• 17 Replies

boosh

growing ginger
« on: March 30, 2010, 06:26 »
Checked my ginger plants this morning, the two that are resting on top of the soil are sprouting, has took over 4 weeks,  :) :) :)

Slowgrind

Re: growing ginger
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:23 »
How have you got your ginger growing boosh?
Did you plant roots? Are they in a hot house or frame?
Can you give some feedback please.............

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:26 »
I had mine on top of the soil and they were looking promising, but I then read something on here about covering them , so I did, that was weeks ago and ...nothing! So I think I will have a little scratch and look to see whats happening.... right, I've just had a look, I planted two "hands" one was completely soft and the other is definitely showing signs of growth. Mind you the compost was bone dry! So I've thrown the soft one away and watered the other one. I have raised it to sit on top of the compost now, no signs of roots tho. Tatty

boosh

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 18:35 »
How have you got your ginger growing boosh?
Did you plant roots? Are they in a hot house or frame?
Can you give some feedback please.............
I have two on top of the soil, and two burried an inch deep. they are in the kitchen on a shelf by the window. at the moment they are in 4 inch pots covered with a clear plastic bag's,
The one thats started to grow is ontop of the soil. but i was told by another member that they had read they should be under the soil, so i've tried both.
i will transfer the growing one upstairs to the bedroom as this gets sunlight all day. the advice i got said they don't need direct sunlight straight away more of a humid warm room. hence the kitchen, and the tumble dryer.
I'll keep posting updates as they hopefully progress. :)

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 20:14 »
My ginger is 1/2 covered in damp compost in a washing up bowl and plastic bag over the top in the back bedroom. It took about 3 weeks to start sprouting
Catherine

Cazzy

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 22:29 »
Mine took a good few weeks too.

I suspended it in water until it was green and swollen then planted it shallow in some compost, looks like its doing great
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

gypsy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 17:09 »
My ginger is still in its washing up bowl in the attic and it now has black flies on it  >:(.Has  any one got an idea what they are and how I can persuade them to clear off?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 18:52 »
I haven't read the thread so forgive the question, gypsy.  Is the ginger in compost?  If so, it's quite common to get little black flies in compost.

If I recall correctly (and I might not!) then it could be caused by compost being too damp?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 21:25 »
It is in very damp compost, does it need  to be drier to get rid of the little beasties? I think the ginger needs to be wet until it is properly sprouted, there are still signs that more sprouts could emerge. Catch 22 I think. Thanks for reply Yorkie.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 21:58 »
It is in very damp compost, does it need  to be drier to get rid of the little beasties? I think the ginger needs to be wet until it is properly sprouted, there are still signs that more sprouts could emerge. Catch 22 I think. Thanks for reply Yorkie.

sounds like sciarid flies (fungus gnats).compost and moisture being the main problem.
as YORKIE says get the moisture content right down.another good way is to use vermiculite as a top covering.they tend not to be so previlant in compost covered with this.
good luck bob.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 22:03 by blackbob »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 22:10 »
That's what I was trying to think of, sciarid flies.  Thanks BB  :)

They're not very pleasant but I don't think they do a great deal of harm.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 22:18 »
That's what I was trying to think of, sciarid flies.  Thanks BB  :)

They're not very pleasant but I don't think they do a great deal of harm.

they mainly feed on fungus within the compost,but can damage small root hairs on seedlings.
it's a canny few years since i chitted ginger to grow on,waste of time up here lol.
but i wrapped it in several layers of kitchen towel and put it in the propogator,didnt take long at all for the shoots to pop out left right and centre.it was as clean as a whistle but i forget  now but it croaked somewhere along the line once established lol.
was fun getting it to grow though.bob

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 00:10 »
After reading on this site about growing ginger I thought I would give it a try brought a nice plump piece from the supermarket and popped it in a pot just covered with compost and stuck it on my kitchen window sill didn't cover it with plastic just kept the soil moist I now have 2 3" shoots growing from it I am really pleased as I love cooking with ginger and I am looking forward to using my own homegrown (does any one know how long it will be before I can harvest it )
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 00:16 »
After reading on this site about growing ginger I thought I would give it a try brought a nice plump piece from the supermarket and popped it in a pot just covered with compost and stuck it on my kitchen window sill didn't cover it with plastic just kept the soil moist I now have 2 3" shoots growing from it I am really pleased as I love cooking with ginger and I am looking forward to using my own homegrown (does any one know how long it will be before I can harvest it )
Diane

getting it to grow is quite easy.biggest prob is getting it to grow to maturity in our short season.
hence the major imports of ginger into this country.
nothing wrong with having a go mind.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:02 »
I've grown ginger in the past with some success. It doesn't really like cool/cold conditions, so usually by October ish it starts to die off, so this is the perfect time to harvest it.

As for sciarid flies, the best way to get rid of them is to water from below, allowing the top half inch or so of compost to dry out. They only live on the surface of damp compost, so by doing this they disappear, practically overnight  :).
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

xx
Growing Ginger

Started by chickpea13 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 15:18
by nipper31
xx
Growing ginger.

Started by Tea Break on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 15:58
by tangojulie
xx
Growing ginger

Started by ThatsNice on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 19:16
by azubah
xx
Growing ginger.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2021, 14:32
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 36 queries.