Probiotic yoghurt - how much and how often?

• 6 Replies

carolbriar

Probiotic yoghurt - how much and how often?
« on: March 29, 2010, 19:05 »
I want to give my hens a bit of probiotic yoghurt to see if it makes any difference to their sometimes loose poo!  I gave them some on Saturday and they loved it but wasn't sure how often or how much to give them? 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Probiotic yoghurt - how much and how often?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 19:29 »
Yogurt should only be given to chickens as an emergency measure as it will help to re-balance their gut organisms.  Yogurt contains lactose which birds have no way of digesting and can in itself cause runny stools.  The hens do love it though and I occasionally give some to my chooks as a treat - a couple of teaspoonfuls each.

If you hens are a bit loose see if your vet stocks AviproPlus (mine does) or buy some on line.  It is pro-biotic organisms supplemented with vitamins and minerals and is extremely good.  The manufacturers say to add it to the drinking water but I think that a bit wasteful so I sprinkle it onto some soft food.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 19:42 »
one of my local pet shops sells avipro plus and I feed this to mine after they have been wormed or had antibiotics.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 20:27 »
Thanks for that.  They were wormed a few weeks ago so am fairly certain that is ok.  I will look at trying Avipro plus just to see if it makes any difference but it is always useful to have these things in if needed.  We have a new agri store opened today and I was really pleased to see they sell Chicken health products, Flubenvet, poultry spice, red mite stuff etc.  I might see if Avipro is something they might stock. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 23:16 »
I give it to my girls occasionally in the summer months, with grated carrot and cucumber as a cooling treat. Having said that I gave them some the other day as I was having some. They do love it  :)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 15:11 »
I was reminded the other day to use probiotic yoghurt for when my girls have loose tums but I didn't know of the side effects - thanks for that info, Aunt Sally. I looked for Avipro Plus at our new Scats store when I was on my way back from the vets (don't know why I didn't think to ask them while I was there) and they don't have any. However, they do have a powder similar to Poultry Spice (also stocked) made by Total Poultry Solutions which includes seaweed extract and probiotics (smells good enough to put in a curry...). Does anyone have firsthand experience of this and know if it would do the job as well as Avipro Plus?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 15:57 »
I don't know that one.  I do give mine Battles Poultry Spice but it has no probiotic in it.

Magic is another good probiotic that I've used  http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Magic-Multistrain-Probiotic-MD65.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 16:00 by Aunt Sally »

xx
probiotic in chicks' water

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 15:12
by Catsmuvva
xx
Yoghurt

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 19:54
by kimT
xx
yoghurt?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:15
by andreadon
xx
Yoghurt!

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 17:12
by Carrie99

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.