Help please for a sticky issue

• 10 Replies

Jana

Help please for a sticky issue
« on: March 28, 2010, 21:07 »
Hello,

I've just logged on to this web page.  Am very excited about reading more and learning.

I need some advice for something that my boyfriend and I are very sad about. 

In November we were clearing our first ever new allotment plot.  It was completely overgrown so I guess we will be fighting brambels for a long time now.  My boyfriend's father suggested a fire so we did it.  Not sure if it was a good idea though.  What was worse was that it was suggested by a neighbour that a tyre (originally left to be taken to a tip) should be thrown on the fire and b's father jsut did it without thinking.  I asked for it to be taken off but it stayed there.  I am still so angry about it, only just managed to go back there.  I avoided it all winter and call it the scar. 

Anyway, my question is, as we can't turn back time, what can we do?  Obviously we shouldn't grow anything there.  Can it be used for a compost heap?  Or maybe should we just grow flowers there or would that affect bees and other wild life.  I guess the worst is already done.  Should we put a shed there?  Where is the best place for a shed to go anyway?  We need a shed as neither of us drives. 

Thank you fo any help.  I sort of hope I'm making a mountain out of mole hill. 

Jana

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help please for a sticky issue
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 22:55 »
what's done is done no good dwelling on it 8)

Where was the fire 'cos you don't want your shed in the middle of your plot, so that may not be the answer. :unsure: Preferably your shed should be at the north end, so it doesn't shade your growing veg.
If it isn't the best place for the shed, could you arrange your beds so that a permanent path goes across that bit? Then you can just forget about it :) sorted!

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 00:47 »
A pathway where the fire was sounds a brilliant and simple solution... or a very small square of grass and a seat for tea breaks  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 05:46 »
Or a patch of flowers to attract the bees you want to pollinate your fruit & veggies.

Jana

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 17:32 »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  I will be trying my best to put that behind me with a path and some flowers I think.  Not the right place for a shed.  Thanks very much.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 18:44 »
the best bit of my plot is where the huge clearing bonfire was. It was so productive that I made more patches of small fires about the plot and then planted them up. The resultant gritty soil is very good for onions and garlic. 

plot6b

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 19:14 »
We are not allowed fires on our site :( :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 23:46 »
We are not allowed fires on our site :( :(

You could try adding a light shake of wood ash if you know someone who has a log fire. You need to take care how much and where it's used - some crops are not so keen - onions 'yes' it seems.  ;)

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 00:47 »
If you are worried about something toxic from the tyre then skim off the top few inches of soil and dump it in a corner or under a path out of the way. Otherwise just dig over the fire site and it will mix in with the soil.

madcat

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 00:56 »
That's very true - any nasties wont have gone deep, so you can take the top few inches off and use for under a path or bench or something where they wont matter.  Don't make one thoughtless moment spoil it for you!  There will be lots of 'hey wow' ones instead.   :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 00:57 »
That's very true - any nasties wont have gone deep, so you can take the top few inches off and use for under a path or bench or something where they wont matter.  Don't make one thoughtless moment spoil it for you!  There will be lots of 'hey wow' ones instead.   :)

A nice bit of advice - chill out - enjoy - don't worry - it's all about a positive attitude and letting nature do its bit to help out along the way - none of us ever get it right all of the time so celebrate the bits that do go right and try, try and try again when it doesn't!  8)

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 31 queries.