Basil Faulty

• 13 Replies

Sally A

Basil Faulty
« on: June 03, 2007, 17:32 »
Have sown some basil seeds, they have only just sprouted but I have noticed that several of the seedlings stems have withered to total skinniness and they are keeling over.  They are in an unheated greenhouse but under a propogator lid?  Is it normal for a few to fail or is it a more sinister problem?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Basil Faulty
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 18:07 »
My bet is that they have become drawn. They should not be left under a propagator lid once germinated.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sally A

Basil Faulty
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 18:18 »
Cheers DD, I will leave the lid off, and see if the others make it.

WG.

Basil Faulty
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 18:45 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
Basil Faulty

:lol:  :lol:

Sally A

Basil Faulty
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 19:01 »
If only my corn was as corny as my jokes!

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Basil Faulty
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 19:45 »
Hello to my name sake!  

PS I think I'm responsible for hogging the ID "Sally".  I tried to set up an ID  first time using one of my email addresses and the ID Sally... then it didn't quite link up so I set up again using Salkeela (My horse is called Tequila or Keela for short!) & a second email address and this eventually worked, but "Sally" as an ID still seems to be blocked!  :oops:
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Ann

Basil Faulty
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 23:20 »
I don't use a propogator for basil just sow the seeds and put the tray on the kitchen window sill.   When large enough I then pot the seedlings on into 5 inch pots.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Basil Faulty
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 00:13 »
Damping off?  I don't think basil likes to be too wet/humid.  Mine is just sown in cells in an unheated GH, and then potted on into clay pots.  The ones with the drier compost seem to do better...  

Only been growing it for about six weeks, though, so it's hardly exhaustive experience!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Basil Faulty
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 07:07 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
Damping off?  I don't think basil likes to be too wet/humid.  Mine is just sown in cells in an unheated GH, and then potted on into clay pots.  The ones with the drier compost seem to do better...  

Only been growing it for about six weeks, though, so it's hardly exhaustive experience!

No, I don't think it's damping off, that's a fungal disease. The description of 'total skinnines' is a dead giveaway that they've been 'drawn' by leaving them in the propagator too long.

Like yourself, mine are grown in an unheated greenhouse, but just chucked in a seed tray, lightly covered in compost & then pricked out.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Basil Faulty
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:06 »
Basil... hmm I never have any luck with it.. but I think I know why now.

I just scatter the seeds in pots and never prick them out.. so should I be pricking them out and putting 1 seedling to a 3inch pot or something like that?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Basil Faulty
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:07 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"

I just scatter the seeds in pots and never prick them out.. so should I be pricking them out and putting 1 seedling to a 3inch pot or something like that?

Yes, that will do nicely.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Basil Faulty
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:08 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "Sadgit"

Yes, that will do nicely.

So I guess having 30 seedlings to a 3inch pot is the reason why they never grow very tall for me? :lol: Nice and bushy but only a few inches tall and never really get any bigger..

Growbag

Basil Faulty
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 21:48 »
A couple of tips which have worked for me.
1. Cheat and buy a supermarket plant then pull a strong shoot with a piece of heel if you can (say 3 inches of stem and 4/5 leaves) and suspend it in a cup/glass of water.  Cover the cup with a piece of foil, make a hole in the centre and poke the stem through so that most of the stem is in the water but the leaves are suspended above the foil.  Keep out of strong sunshine and wait 2-3 weeks until roots are showing.  Pot on in a 3 inch pot/container and keep of direct sunshine for a week or so until plant is established.   This has worked every time for me and I now have a ready supply of plants.
2. Water Basil plants from the bottom and allow to dry out slightly before watering again.  Basil likes sunshine but hates being waterlogged.  If you water from the top the stems are likely to rot and the leaves don't like water on them.  By allowing the plant to dry out slightly the Basil flavour intensifies.
From fork to fork

sclarke624

Basil Faulty
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 00:10 »
I cheated as my seed grown basil didn't grow quick enough for our salads.  I bought one from sainsburys for £1.19, loads of leaves to cut.  On the info (which I can't find right now) it said only water if plant looks limp and in need and at the bottom.  I noticed Morrisons are selling them for 69p or was it 99p.  Think my memory is going. LOL.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Basil (The herb not Faulty Towers character!)

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 14:15
by potatogrower
xx
Basil

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 09:08
by DD.
xx
Basil - which is best?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 04, 2014, 09:02
by AnneB
xx
Basil

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 11:14
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.729 seconds with 29 queries.