Domesticating new hens

• 16 Replies

neil9797

Domesticating new hens
« on: March 26, 2010, 15:11 »
Sorry for the plethora of posts - I've lots of new questions now that the laydeez have arrived. I have three new hens and they are all scared *itless of me. How do I domesticate them? Softly-softly or grab-and-pat? I have singularly failed to grab one so far (six days in) as I don't know how firmly one can hold them; I'm a bit ham-fisted at the best of times and an don't want to 'break' one  :( (reminds me of hen I was a first-time parent ::) )

8doubles

Re: Domesticating new hens
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 15:27 »
I get mine to jump up on a waist high handrail to get a few grains of maize, this makes them more grabable. If you hold them till they settle down then give them the corn they do get a bit tamer.
Plan B is a kiddies butterfly or pond net about a foot diameter, light and easy to move quickly. Don`t forget the maize after. :)

They get to hate THE NET which can be handy if you need to get them back to the coop pronto, good for herding , often the sight of it is enough. :)

patandlaura

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 15:45 »
We have had our 2 hens for four days. They had been living free range, roosting in trees, laying under hedges and were totally wild.   They paced up and down their new run here but have calmed down a lot now.
We have only managed to catch one and trim the wing by covering its head with a dark cloth, and then it was still.
The second one escaped as we were afraid of hurting it as it struggled, but they both walked quietly around the garden afterwards.  We then herded and enticed them back into the run with corn.
If yours as like ours, I can't imagine ever being able to handle them easily, but I think they will become tamer and take food from our hands eventually.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 16:01 »
Give them time and treats and they will come round to you in time  :) Keep a regular treat time and they will get used to approaching you for the treats. Give them corn from your hand to encourage them closer. As they get older they calm down and before you realise it they will be under you feet and you'll be having to shoo them away!

raeburg

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 16:19 »
mealworms for treats.  mine will turn themselves inside out for mealies.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 16:42 »
Mine were like yours at the beginning but mine eat out of my hand now although they wouldn't just allow me to pick one up I can usually corner them and if they squat then I can just lift them up and they are much quieter than they used to be.  I did spend a lot of time talking to them and being in the run. :lol: :lol: 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 07:53 »
Bribery!  Well that is my approach anyway  :)  A handful of corn, dried meal worms or a grape or two usually does the trick.  I recently introduced 5 new girls to my 2 existing ones.  The new ones are still no where near as used to me as my original 2 but they are getting there as they can see that the other 2 get extra treats if they don't come over quick!  It is quite funny with the corn though as the more confident girls eat it out of my hand whilst the others wait underneath it for the bits that are dropped!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:00 »
Wait until they are settled after dark .... they will be drowsy and you can pick them up from the perch or wherever they are roosting ... check them over for lice etc or even just for a cuddle so they get used to being handled.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 11:59 »
Time patience and corn, dont forget to talk to them.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 16:00 »
I agree re time patience and bribery. If you need to handle them to examine them as Beulah says it is so easy after they have gone to bed and they are also less stressed. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jackie

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 19:02 »
mine go mad for cooked spahetti. they'll take it our our hands and its great fun watching them run round the garden chasing each other. you'll certainly get lots of laughs from them

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 23:44 »
Im not sure the majority of chickens get domesticated like dogs or cats do. Mine will follow me about, come down to the back door if I am late with food and eat out of my hand. However they don't like me handling them, they'll tolerate it if I hold them properly but I've only had 2 who seemed to want to come and see me for non-food reasons.

If you want to inspect them for lice and clip wings its best to do it at night - they are much more docile (or dopey)
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:14 »
Had mine for 5 weeks now and they will come running when i come home from work and follow me up the path and wait at the  door for me to reappear with corm for them..  Two of the four will eat out of our hands.  I haven't really cuddled them as such., but i did finally pluck up the courage to dust them for mites yesterday, husband was watching out the kitchen window and came out to help as he was laughing so much at me making a mess.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:25 »
some of my girls don't mind being handled, most eat from my hands and my little sablepoot girlie flies onto my head and chats away to me  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 20:50 »
My 17 year old son was very keen to hold our hens today and spent ages feeding them by hand hoping to pick one up.  They seem much more friendly this weekend as we have spent a lot of time out there with them.  I managed to pick one up later and he had a hug with that one and they let him stroke them while feeding,  Then we picked some up after they went to bed.  I'm delighted he is so interested.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 38 queries.