Perch training

• 3 Replies

neil9797

Perch training
« on: March 26, 2010, 15:06 »
My new laydeez do not use their perches to roost but all snuggle up together in one of the laying nests. Pooptastic. I've taken advice from old forum posts to block off the nests until they learn to use the perches (they are not laying yet) but how long will that take?

Thanks, N

raeburg

Re: Perch training
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 16:21 »
look in at night and gently lift them onto he perches.  they'll get the idea eventually

Mrs S

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 19:42 »
My ex-bats perched originally for the first week or two, but then went into the nest box. I don't really mind, but if we go away for a weekend, I don't want to ask the neighbours who are collecting eggs to also clean poo! I tried lifting them out but they go back in! I have also been advised to block off the nest boxes at night which I may try  ;)

bateschooks

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 19:08 »
I have 6 ex bats and they all used to sleep in the nest boxes but i just went down each night and lifted them on to perches, they soon got the hang of it after about a couple of weeks. I also put a board on front of the laying boxes so they could recognise that the boxes are for laying eggs in. I do still have 1 who does everything wrong, like sleeping in there when she can get away with it and lays eggs where she is standing in the run in the boarders in the garden, its like treasure hunt when she is laying , i just think there is no converting her, but she seems happy so i am to. 

xx
duck training . . . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2007, 09:48
by daveinmanc
xx
Training my new girls

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 09:13
by chickenlady
xx
Training Chickens

Started by TJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 15:35
by joyfull
xx
Training your chickens?

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 22:08
by Pertelotte

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 36 queries.