Hand hygeine

• 30 Replies

neil9797

Hand hygeine
« on: March 26, 2010, 14:53 »
What do you folks use to disinfect your hands after coop-cleaning? Do I recall someone mentioning F10? Is that safe to use on hands?

Thanks, N

Swing Swang

Re: Hand hygeine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 15:08 »
If you've not seen it the Royal College of Nursing have done a fair bit of research on how to wash your hands using a six step approach that should last about 30s (compared to an average 'social' had wash that lasts 6-9s!!!).

I've laminated their poster and put it above every sink at work - it's well worth taking on board.

Unfortunately I can't find a link to the original (as the RCN site is password protected), but the following link will direct you to a similar poster:

http://www.leics.gov.uk/hand_washing_poster.pdf

Doesn't answer your original question as to what to use, but at least you now know how to use it!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 16:38 »
First of all I always wear my marigolds  ::) (yellow ones) the hand scrub I use is called Hydrex, it is a surgical scrub.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 16:53 »
Flippin heck.... I should be dead then :)  I cleaned out 6 pens of quail and the chook coop and cant remember if I even washed my hands before having a cup of tea and a cake!!!

Anyone want to come round for a cuppa!!!   :tongue2:

No?????
 :wacko:
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

mjd

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 18:10 »
I wipe my hands on my trousers.   :ohmy:

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 18:21 »
You are my kind of person :) :)

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 18:26 »
I have always believed that a bit of dirt doesn't do you any harm if anything it does you good.  We have 2 cats a dog and now my 4 ladies.  I wash my hands with a bit of soap and water if I remember but don't go bonkers if I forget.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 18:42 »
Oh for goodness sake ::)..... Ok, people in hospital need to wash their hands before dealing with other people as they are ill , can pass infections on to other people who are ill and immuno-suppressed, however, in the normal world how many people actually have time to handwash like this after doing every day chours ?. I shower every morning, have a bath most nights, wash my hands well after using the loo and before preparing food, and after poo picking, apart from that i rely on the fact i have a strong immune system based on the fact we hardly ever get infections, never have tummy bugs, or food poisoning (miracle with my cooking) I have 4 children, 19 chickens, 1 cockerel, a turkey, rabbit, guinea pig, a dog and a husband and ive managed to keep them all alive so far! We live in a world where everything is disinfected and kids cant make mud pies or finger paint cos they will get dirty....rubbish, the only way we will learn to fight the germ is to be exposed to germs....
After leaning your coops, it would be wise to wash your hands with soap and water, but if you forget, you wont die a horrible death...you'll probably be stronger for it ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 19:01 »
I worked with horses for 20 years, owned my own for 25 years, did pet sitting for 3 years and have never had a problem with infections or muck related illnesses, and these were the days when hot water, washing facilities were not provided, not like the softies of today. Oh yes, also worked with monkeys, small mammals and chimps for 2 years...though you had to be a bit careful not to pass anything on to chimps! And a season with sheep, including 47 orphan lambs. :D

carolbriar

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 19:08 »
I bought a pack of cheap disposable polythene gloves which I use for poo picking and cleaning out the coop.  I still come in and wash my hands with an anti bacterial handwash - dettol handwash.  I got this from listening to people on the forum about being so careful with your chooks as you can pass this and that on.  Perhaps its time I wasn't quite to pernickity about washing my hands even after picking up the eggs without my gloves on!! :wacko: :ohmy: A friend of mine poo picks with her bare hands - makes my stomach turn a bit - she washes them afterwards but I think with just soap and water :tongue2:
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 19:55 »
> however, in the normal world how many people actually have time to handwash like this after doing every day chours ?.

Unfortunately not enough.

Whilst I believe that it is a very good thing to be exposed to bugs so that we can develop a strong immune system our hands do come into contact with other people and also touch things that others will also touch (the anecdotal peanuts in a bowl on a bar for example). To adopt a slightly more rigorous cleaning regimen than many of us have become comfortable with (or to use physical barriers) is not only good for our own health, but also for the health of those around us. Doesn't really matter if you're a healthcare professional, a soldier in Afghanistan, or Joe Soap (pun intended).

SS

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 19:59 »
I never buy anti bacterial soap as I believe it does more harm than good.  Our bodies and that that of our kids need to learn to fight infection without antibiotics if possible.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 20:36 »
> however, in the normal world how many people actually have time to handwash like this after doing every day chours ?.

Unfortunately not enough.

Whilst I believe that it is a very good thing to be exposed to bugs so that we can develop a strong immune system our hands do come into contact with other people and also touch things that others will also touch (the anecdotal peanuts in a bowl on a bar for example). To adopt a slightly more rigorous cleaning regimen than many of us have become comfortable with (or to use physical barriers) is not only good for our own health, but also for the health of those around us. Doesn't really matter if you're a healthcare professional, a soldier in Afghanistan, or Joe Soap (pun intended).

SS

well, we will have to agree to disagree im afraid!.....i dont think i need a slightly more rigorous cleaning regime, like i say, we are hardly ever ill, and im pretty sure i dont infect too many people. If you start talking about the 'anecdotal peanuts', then what about door handles, push buttons on road crossings ...daily life.....the list goes on and on.....like i say, we'll just have to agree to disagree and keep the standard of hygeine that we are comftable with :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 20:45 »
Forgot to say, I also have horses and a  chameleon and bearded dragon.... well known for their aparent ability to kill you with salmonella at a thousand paces!!!

Well I dont wash my hands when I play with them either!!!

If I washed my hands everytime I touched something 'unclean' I would never leave the bathroom!!!

Suppose that would solve the problem though.... unless I used the loo!!!  :D :D

Each to their own though.... no one is right or wrong... ;)

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 20:58 »
I do tend to agree that we have become obsessed about hygeine. I think a little bit of dirt does you no harm, and like someone mentioned earlier, you have to have contact with a germ so that your bodies learn how to fight it. I have been known to poo pick(chickens only) without gloves,  although I do use gloves and a plastic bag for dog poo.

xx
I'm new to this and need a hand!

Started by broodyhen on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 21:55
by jjmack
xx
feeding by hand . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 00:43
by daveinmanc
xx
Second hand coops

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:50
by Khususi
xx
Penny ate out of my hand

Started by Louise on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 15:58
by mdueal

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 37 queries.