Contrary to popular opinion.....

• 11 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Contrary to popular opinion.....
« on: March 25, 2010, 23:20 »
I don't know everything about chickens!  :D

I've only used my incubator 3 times now, but a lady on my blog asked me this question.  Please is there anyone out there who can give her more advice than I can?

Many thanks       

This is another of my questions.  I got myself an incubator - a Covatutto 16 from Ascott Smallholding Supplies and a heat lamp and bulb and also some chick crumbs while I was ordering the other things and paying carriage anyway.  Spent £90.  I got myself some eggs from somebody I know who has a couple of cockerels with their hens which are mostly particular breeds rather than hybrids.  I know I bought a basic incubator so I had to turn the eggs by hand but I did spend £90 on this venture and that was enough spent for now...  I read several books on incubation and rearing chicks and followed the instructions as closely as I could.  I fitted 13 eggs rather than 16 into the incubator.  I candled them at 7 days and again at 14 days and discarded the two which had nothing happening in them.  The other 11 all looked hopeful although I knew not to count my chickens until they were hatched.  However NONE hatched.  Have you any ideas, please, as to what I might have got wrong so that I can avoid it if I can lay my hands on some fertile eggs again? I admit to being really disappointed.  So is my husband.  He cracked all the eggs last night and the chick had started to form but then stopped fairly early on so something untoward must have happened but I am at a loss as to what.  You have had experience incubating eggs so I am pestering you with yet another question - sorry!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Contrary to popular opinion.....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:13 »
was the temp correct? did they keep the lid open for more than neccessary?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:12 »
Possibly overheated the eggs on the candler??  Maybe the eggs got chilled while they candled or they twisted them round too much??

Bacteria can cause early death, so were the eggs clean??

Power cut??

Errrrr....... thats it from me  :D
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 14:24 »
ok, this is what I do in my cov 16. Clean it thoroughly with  dettox, then switch it on overnight (without water), and check the temp is 101/102  Then I fill the smaller, inner circle iin the base, with tap water, and put my mini humidity thingy in where the eggs will go. Checkin humidity is good...CONSISTENT is more important than actual number, around about 55% The incie needs to be away from window/radiator etc, in a fairly consistant room.

My eggs (if through the post, must settle at room temperature for 12-24hours) are selected. I do not wash eggs, I just select the clean ones, and keep the nestboxes as clean as i can). The eggs must be consistant for the breed standard, the right colour, size and SHAPE. When storing my hatching eggs, I keep them in my utility room, which is the coolest part of my house, and is temp and humidity consistent, and i turn them every 12 hours to prevent the yolk from sticking to the shell. Ideally, I use the eggs  up to 7 days after lay, as viability decreases sharply after that, to close to zero at 21days old.

I choose the eggs i wish to set, and place them in my d.room (where I keep my incies). Once my eggs have reached room temperature, i mark each with a circle (and a cross on the oposite side) and lay them gently in the incubator. I turn all the eggs from the 'circle' to the 'cross',  in a clockwise direction around 8am EVERY morning,  then anticlockwise back again 12 hours later at around 8pm.

I have a high intensity candler, which I find can show up the telltale veins in an egg without me  having to lift the eggs out. At 7 days, OH holds thlid up for me, while I hold the candler briefly(so as not to overheat them) over each egg. I remove clear eggs, recandling more thoroughly  ::) just to make sure. At this 7 day point, I top up the water bowl in the base.

I dont open the lid at all then until day 18. Very swift recandle, if the egg appears black inside, good, if pale, clear or  small dark blob, remove them (recandle if unsure). To raise the humidty  to around 65%for hatching, the second/outer ring needs to have water in, and I put a hatching mat under the eggs (helps prevent spraddle legs). Then I call a "lockdown" no turning or lifting the lid AT ALL from day 18. I expect them to start signs of rocking, peeping and pipping day 20, and hatch day 21. if the hatch is early, incie running a bit warm, if hatch late, usually the opposite. Keep chicks in to fluffy up, for up to 24 hours.

Hope that helps
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 21:22 »
Sorry IMO but is the cov 16 not a manual turn mine is,so how do you turn eggs from day 7 to 18. I also rotate mine 3 times a day 7am,6pm then at 11pm as i was told to always turn an odd number of times per day.
I was also told not to roll eggs from side to side but to pick them up and to rotate them over the pointy end of egg,90 odd % hatch rate so far so works for me. I did think of trying 1/2 rolling and 1/2 rotating but with such a good hatch rate CHICKENED out.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 21:38 »
Thanks all for the replies, I will pass on your very comprehensive comment to my lady Annie!

thank you!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 21:43 »
Off topic.... Meterman where in NuL are you... I grew up in Westlands. Been thinking about heading back that way in a few years  ??? :)

On Incubating I cant add anything to IMO's post but hope they have better luck next time x

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 21:54 »
I Caralou, Clayton lane just down from Clayton Hall Business and Language Collage(formally Clayton High School) posh name same school, what part of the Westlands?.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 22:00 »
My high school  :D While it was still common all Clayton High! Westlands Avenue - so right the other end of Westlands from Clayton. My grandparents used to live on Langdale Road, Clayton and that was where I went to juinor school  :) Did you grow up arounf there or move to the area?

Sorry GA....!!!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 22:07 »
You know I'll forgive you almost anything Cara!!!!!   :happy: :happy:

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 22:21 »
Birk st stoke till married 81 moved to pooldam nul,then here 95. Son went friarswood then clayton high to finish his education, daughter goes langdale which is now 1 school not 3 all change around here.
Small world we live in

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 22:38 »
I went Clayton in 92 (left 97)  :) Very small world!!!

xx
what is the most popular

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 07:02
by Jellyhead
xx
Male or Female? Opinion please...

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 14:59
by blulagoo
xx
Choice of Incubator....Your Opinion

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 21:37
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 38 queries.