sorry if this is DOH

• 13 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
sorry if this is DOH
« on: March 25, 2010, 23:14 »
after reading many posts  :)and forums i seeded  my carrots in toilet rolls  LOL  they have sprouted big time ten to a roll  maybe scissor time....lol advise please

thin in what way or just go with the flow
thx in advance

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: sorry if this is DOH
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 23:35 »
Hi Flitwick.  I'm not an expert on carrots, but I know they don't like being moved, or are you thinking of leaving them to grow in the loo roll inners?  If you are, they'd need to be 1 per loo roll!  I usually sow my carrots directly either into the ground or container, then thin out as necessary.  If they are too close together they won't get very big.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:48 »
I'd snip them back to the strongest one and transplant as soon as the weather allows. Make sure the loo roll is wet when you transplant

At least you know now, not to sow so thickly. A steep learning curve at the beginning, isn't it 8)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 20:52 »
yes very i shall get the scissors out soon ??? thx for the replies

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 05:11 »
Leave them alone, as they grow they will push each other apart then as you remove the biggest to eat the others will grow to fill the space,
THIN THEM OUT HAVE YOU WORKED OUT HOW MUCH CARROT SEED COSTS!

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23 »
I agree with PAULW, leave them be. Carefully thin them out as baby carrots as they get bigger maybe,but with any luck they will be in the ground and the toilet rolls will have disintegrated by then.
A guy on our lottie who does really well with carrots spreads them thinly in line, never thins as he says attracts  carrot fly and covers with fleece. Lifts and and digs up the biggest bunch of straight tightly packed together gorgeous carrot, envy of everyone!

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:36 »
I am completely rubbish with carrots. This is my third year growing veg, in previous two years not had one single edible carrot ! :mad:

I would give em up as a bad job if it weren't for the free packets I keep getting with magazines ( I don't buy many mags but those I do buy ALWAYS have carrot seeds on !).

I might try the loo roll method this year. Based on replies to flitwickone would you recommend just 1 seed per loo roll ?

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 13:21 »
Timing is everything with the loo roll method, if the tap root goes down and hits the tray like hitting a stone in the soil before you get it in the ground the root will stop growing and the carrot bulks out you can end up with a carrot 2 inch long and 6 inch wide.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 16:56 »
Paul 2" long and 6" wide would be massive improvement on my previous efforts ! Never had a carrot more than 2" long anyway and more like 1" wide and comedy shaped in the main  :lol:

Have planted some up direct into raised bed, some in a pot in the yard and more in loo rolls which are now in my seed house ( multi shelved coldframe thing), not one glimmer of a germinated seed yet  :mad:

This might be the last year I waste my time and effort on carrots :mad: :mad:

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 17:32 »
i grew them in tubs last year and this year will try both
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

gypsy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 17:34 »
Leave them alone, as they grow they will push each other apart then as you remove the biggest to eat the others will grow to fill the space,
THIN THEM OUT HAVE YOU WORKED OUT HOW MUCH CARROT SEED COSTS!
49p a packet
Catherine

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 17:42 »
Catherine how much per seed is that

gypsy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 17:50 »
more than the freebies on the front of the mags  :lol: There are loads of seeds in a packet, too many to count.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 17:07 »
i would leave  them, but if you're transplanting the tube into the ground (as opposed to insane idea of removing them from the tube), then cut the side of the tube whe nyou put it in.
it'll expand then.
if i sow too thickly, i use the babies that emerge in salads and the ones left will spread out and grow bigger.

Page created in 0.754 seconds with 38 queries.